Chapter VI: A day of many suitors and one Princess

Princess Arlington was true to her word and she introduced me to many of her friends. I was nervous, because most of her friends were the same social class she was and therefore higher on the social ladder than I was. There were so many ways to insult one higher in rank, that I was constantly afraid I would say exactly the wrong things to them and they would hate me all together.

Nothing was further from the truth. The friends of Princess Arlington were all very charming and polite. Nobody looked down on me, the way Diana Mornington used to. We had interesting dialogues about literature and art, but mostly about my interesting past. When things turned to France and the reason why we left France, the Princess came to my rescue and turned the subject subtly away from me. When she caught my grateful glance, she just smiled.

Two of the Princess' friends, the Duke of Savoy and the Marquess of Lothian, were about to visit me today, so I guess the introduction of the Princess really paid off. The Duke of Savoy was distantly related to the Duke and Princess Arlington. He was the son of the cousin of the former Duke, if I recall correctly. We connected especially well since the Duke of Savoy still lives in France, my country by birth and heart. The Marquess of Lothian had a peerage in Scotland. With the broad beaches and the sandy cliffs Lothian was definitely a region I would like to see someday. So I was pretty excited these two men came by to visit me.

Until they came to visit I promised the Princess I would visit her for tea. Since her guardian would be around my parents had no objections to me visiting her this time, provided that Alice would accompany me also. They kept pushing me to be humble and grateful for the Princess' introductions and they even considered I'd better bring a present for her as well, which I embarrassedly refused. I practically saw myself coming with a present in my hand and the Princess' reaction to that. No, leave the present for her suitors. Luckily, my parents came to their senses as well. They saw me bringing gifts as adulation and that would not suit a proper lady.

'Will the Duke himself be there?' My maman asks me, while I'm waiting for the carriage to arrive. Of course my parents hadn't missed my reconciliation with the Duke at yesterday's ball.

'I daresay I hope so, but the Princess didn't say anything about him being there. We will just have to see.'

The stagecoach stops in front of the porch and my mother keeps me from getting into the hackney. 'Don't be late for your suitors though.'

'Yes, I remember, maman. I will be here at three o'clock sharp.'

After that she lets go of me and I get into the carriage with Alice. 'I am so excited,' my housemaid says. 'I am curious what the Princess has planned for you. You're so blessed to be in her company. It is said that the Princess doesn't like many people. She's a very modest person. I bet it's a result of her parents' untimely deaths.'

'I feel honoured by her kindness and friendship then. I hope our new friendship will last for a long time.'

Alice has never been outside of Swanley, so she feats her eyeballs and I let her. Since I love travelling, I know how she must be feeling right now to see something different than the same surroundings every day. I have seen a lot more, I daresay, but even I haven't been able to see all the places I really would like to see. After half an hour we enter Richmond and I can see the outlines of Arlington Park again.

I watch my appearance in the reflection of the glass and ask Alice: 'How do I look?'

'Wonderful as always, Miss.'

Once more the butler of Arlington Park awaits our arrival, but this time when we enter, the Princess is already walking towards us. The butler looks annoyed, but still announces: 'Lady Le Bon and Miss Green, Princess.'