Chapter XIV: A whole new world

May has arrived and Diana Mornington's vicious promises of my impending ruin disappear to the back of my head. Since Liam is mostly busy with winning over my father and my oldest brother, my days have been quiet the last couple of weeks. Sometimes a lost suitor comes by at our house and in that case we have tea together, but I make it very clear to them that my heart is already taken by another man and usually they run off again with their tails between their legs.

Since our heated confrontation at Mary-Ann's engagement party, Christina and I have not talked anymore either. She did send me some letters apologizing for her behaviour, but since she still does not trust me with her secret in any one of her letters I kept myself from writing back to her. Perhaps this would make her realize that she should be honest to me to continue our friendship.

On the third day of May Liam visits Castle Le Bon to go hunting with both of my brothers and father. Before he joins their hunting party however, he comes to see me in the drawing room where I am just reading a collection of poems collected in Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake. I look up from my reading happy to see him and we talk about the author for a while.

'I came to give you this actually,' he says afterwards and he hands over a big present with a letter to it. I don't have to open it to recognize the handwriting.

'Is your sister really bribing me now?'

My mother gives me a not so subtle kick to my shin and I gasp. 'What a kind thought,' she says to Liam. 'Your sister is such a nice woman.' She looks at me compulsively. 'Let's see what the Princess has bought you, dear.'

As it was my intention to also ignore the package, I growl uncooperative. But after another warning kick, I concede before my shins are all blue. Liam just smiles amused by our silent conversation. No help from him, so it would seem. I sigh and tear open the wrapping paper. It's a blank piece of canvas and as I tear the package further open, a couple of charcoals fall down into my lap.

'How thoughtful,' my mother exclaims. 'You used to draw a lot, didn't you dear?'

I swallow and suddenly I feel guilty. What am I doing? I look like a stubborn child, who doesn't get what she wants. If Christina is keeping a secret, then it's her secret to tell and keep as she pleases. She respected my reluctance to tell mine, so why couldn't I do the same for her? Just because she doesn't want to tell me, doesn't mean she does not care for our friendship. Her steadfast behaviour shows me she really cares. And I keep acting like a fool by ignoring her letters and by ignoring my friendship with her. I have been a terrible friend and frankly it amazes me Liam's sister did not give up on me instead.

'Your sister has been very kind. Will you thank her for me?' I say touched.

'I think you can thank her yourself.' He nods at the letter, which accompanies my present. 'If I have heard it right my aunt is dying to give another one of her famous parties tonight.'

I look at my mother pleadingly. 'Can I please go, maman?'

My mother hesitates. 'You have been to one already.'

'But I had such a wonderful time, maman. All of London's women were there and I made quite some interesting friends. Next to that, aunt Emma is such a pleasant woman.'

'I guess she can be your chaperone then.'

'My aunt will take good care of Elizabeth. She is actually quite fond of her,' Liam adds. 'Besides, that woman raised both me and Christina very well.' He smiles wickedly. 'At least, she did a good job on Christina. Let Elizabeth go with them. Your daughter will be well taken care of, Lady Le Bon. I promise you that.'