Chapter X: The clock is ticking

Christina shakes her head incredibly. 'So, they both just went along with it?' she asks, after I completed telling her all that had come to pass after Lord Harvey's harassment.

'Yes, but you must have known. You told me as much as you were leaving.'

'I knew Elias would be duelling Lord Harvey, but that my brother agreed to be his second in this madness I did not know or else I would have kept him from such a folly.'

'I don't know what to do, Christina.'

She gives me a watery smile. 'And you think I can? Perhaps it escaped your notice, but my dear brother never listens to me, love. And trust me: I tried many times to make him see reason.'

'Please, Christina. I am at a loss here. I cannot lose Elias. He is still my brother, despite the fact that he can be a pain in...'

I blush. I don't want to speak my mind rudely in front of Christina. She's still a Princess after all. Christina just laughs merrily: 'A pain in the arse. You can say it, love. It's true for both your and my brother.'

I return her smile sheepishly and respond: 'Anyway, I need to save his life. He is defending my honour in this duel after all. I cannot let him die for this reason.'

'I understand. We can try to speak to my brother, I guess. No harm will come from that.'

'Thank you.'

'Don't get your hopes up too high, love. He's stubborn as a pig sometimes, especially when he's convinced he's doing the right thing.'

'Sometimes I wonder if Liam and Elias are twins. They both are the same person with the same strengths and faults.'

'Elias can have him if he wants. That would save me a lot of trouble.'

We walk to the library, because that's where the Duke was last seen. And indeed, when we knock Liam's warm voice bids us to enter. As we enter I cannot help, but stiffen up. My father has a library, but his is nothing compared to this one. This room is almost as big as the nave of a church and just as high. Liam's library even has two floors. There are so many books in here that I am really astonished my anxiety forgotten just for a moment. This is pure wealth. So much knowledge and alternative realities, I could live happily here among the books.

Liam smiles at my fascination: 'Our family loves to read, so they have been collecting books for many generations in a row. I have been able to enlarge our collection some more.'

'It's magnificent, Liam.'

'You are free to visit and if you see anything you like, you can always borrow it. My books are your books.'

'Then they are soon hers, aren't they?' Christina says crossed.

Liam looks uncomfortable. 'What do you mean, sister?'

'Since you and Elias in all likelihood will be dead by dawn.'

'I am not fighting. I am merely Elias' second.'

'What are you thinking, you moron?'

Liam remains calm under Christina's fury. He intertwines his fingers and looks at her patiently. 'My friend needed help and so, I gave it to him.'

'You are about to duel another man. You know it's illegal. If someone finds out, you will end up in jail, Liam. Think about what that would do to our legacy. Think of what it would do to aunt Emma, who has been nothing but good to us since she took us in after maman and papan had died.'