Chapter XLII: Elias' intentions

When we return to Arlington Park we can't find Liam or Elias, so we calmly bring our horses back to the stables and take a short detour through the garden until they arrive as well. We don't say much, but when our eyes meet we laugh happily. I feel her ring burn through my breast pocket constantly; a constant reminder of what is about to come. A charm that will keep me safe the coming few weeks. Also, my happiness will be a spell to protect me against harm and menacing words. It feels like nothing can hurt me anymore. I am in my own magical bubble of happiness. I feel intoxicated. I never knew love could be intoxicating, but here I am.

After a short while we hear Elias' booming laugh and arms linked, we walk back to the estate. It seems both Liam and Elias made some profits out of the boxing match and they look almost as happy as we are. Elias tells me all about the match, while Christina lays a hand upon Liam's shoulders and whispers something to him. He listens intently and then he nods more seriously.

'I can't wait to tell my father. He always thinks this is a waste of money,' Elias concludes as he rubs his hands together in satisfaction.

'Let's go home then, Elias. It's about dinner time anyway.'

Our horses are brought up front once more and after I have mounted, Christina halts me and asks: 'When will I see you again, love?'

'Tomorrow?'

She pulls a face. 'I am afraid I can't. Aunt Emma makes us go to see some acquaintances.' Now it's my time to pull a face, which makes her smile. 'I can fake a cold though. Or I could have hurt my back. When people would have been able to spot us, they know there's a real chance at that.' I blush and the corner of her mouth raises in a mischievous smile.

I supposedly hush her, but can't help smiling. 'Nobody has to know about my secret talents.'

'No way in Hell. They are mine alone.'

She gives me a quick kiss and then joins her brother to wave us off. 'I will write to you,' she says.

'You write to me as well?' my brother asks gallivant. Christina looks not amused, but Liam comes to her rescue.

'Ride off, you scoundrel,' he says jokingly. 'Don't you dare court my sister without my consent or I challenge you to a duel.'

'Bugger off, you. I gave my consent for my sister. I expect you to do the same, bastard.'

Christina rolls her eyes. 'And so, we are being sold off once more.'

'No, Princess,' Elias shakes his index finger, reprimanding. 'I am not buying you. I am buying your courtship. After courting you, you shall not want anybody else by your own accord.'

'I hardly doubt that.'

'Come one, Casanova,' I say jealous. 'I want to go home now.'

To my surprise Christina steps forward and in my jealousy I actually think she approaches Elias. He seems to think so too, since he leans over his horse's neck on his under arms looking seductively. She passes him though without a word and halts at White Rose. She caresses the mane of my mare and beckons me to come closer by curling her index finger tantalizingly.

As I lean down, she smiles and whispers: 'Your jealousy charms you, love.'

I snort. 'I am glad you amuse yourself.'

'Remember what this entails,' she coyly pets my breast pocket. She takes a step back and says: 'See you soon.' She gives White Rose a pat on her behind and we ride off, followed by Elias very soon.

'Wait up, Elizabeth,' he cries out.

I halt White Rose a bit, until he catches up with us. We ride back in an easy gallop and Elias asks me: 'What did the Princess tell you?'

'When?'

'Just now, when we were about to leave?'

'That's between me and her.'

'Was it about me?'

'Yes, in a way it was.'

To my surprise he beams with pride. 'I knew it. She does fancy me.'

I don't want to give him false hope. He is my brother after all, despite the fact that he is courting my woman. 'She told me she refused you.'

'She's playing hard to get. You women got your games and I attend to play them.'

'I don't think the Princess is one for games.'

'You all fancy games.' I roll my eyes and he continues. 'I want to take this seriously. With today's profits I will buy her a beautiful engagement ring.'

My blood is boiling, but I keep reminding myself that Elias does not know about us, so I can hardly blame him for wanting to court Christina. She's attractive in so many ways. In a flash I picture us physically together again and I blush vehemently. 'Elias, I...'

He shakes his head. 'I know you don't fancy me courting your friend, but I really will be a good husband for her, sister. I know I am not perfect and I have treated women disrespectfully, but I want to change my ways. You don't have to believe me, but I will be good for the Princess. I have never felt so strong for anyone else. I guess Cupid finally hit me.'

I revert my eyes, so he cannot see all the emotions that cross my face. 'I hope you will succeed, Elias. You are a great man.'

'Well, I would not say great, but...' He laughs jerkily and I shake my head. Then he turns serious again and says: 'I will also prove to you that I am worth her hand in marriage. You mean the world to me.'

I swallow back my tears. I am not worthy of his praise and he will soon find that out unfortunately. 'I love you too, Elias. I know we don't see eye to eye all the time, but I really love you, brother. And I am sure you will find yourself a wife. When it's not Christina, then surely it will be another beautiful and kind woman.'

'Don't worry, sister. I have a good feeling about this.'

I can't contradict him anymore and for a moment I feel guilty. Should I tell him? Elias is the most open minded person I know. He does not care about rules and standards and I am wondering if he would condemn me if he knew the truth. Yes, he would be mad that I had a relationship with the woman he was about to court, but would he be disgusted at my love for her? Would he banish me from the grounds and think his sister was a demon? I can hardly imagine it, since Liam accepts our love as well and Elias resembles Liam in multiple ways.

It would be such a relief to tell someone at least. To put my trust in at least one of my family members and come clean about it all. To tell someone how lucky I am with the love I found. I am nearly about to confess to him, when I remember how revolted he was

by Eleanor's behaviour. He did not come to her rescue, when Eleanor was disgracefully sent away from our house. So, it seems even my brother has his limitations to what he thinks is proper behaviour.

'You wanted to tell me something?' Elias asks me curiously, when we arrive at our house.

I blush. 'No, I was just praying for your success in love.'

He puts an arm around my shoulder and kisses the top of my head. 'How very kind of you. You're the best sister in the world.'

I lower my eyes and say softly so he will not hear it. 'I am not. I am definitely not.'