Chapter VII: Illness & misbehaviour

Much time to consider Christina's disturbing behaviour there was not. It seems a bit self-centred to say, but my suitors were lining up the next couple of days due to my reconciliation with the Duke and my introductions to Christina's friends. Many of those wonderful men were not meant for me, but there were three respectable gentlemen I really fancied.

First there is Lord Harvey. He is gaining my respect every day more and more. Since we are getting to know each other better, he is beginning to talk more freely to me. He tells me a lot about his passion for literature and when he discovers I had followed the class European Literature he even liked me more. So, on his next visit he brings one of his favourite books with him, which we read together and discuss. I really enjoy seeing him and I even like it more to talk to him. We have so much fun together and I slowly begin to envisage a real future for us with a house somewhere in the countryside and a few kids in it. He would definitely be a caring husband and a loving father.

After our first encounter the Duke of Savoy also comes by for a few more visits. Though he turns out to be a very serious fellow, his heart is in the right place. He is extremely ambitious though. Since his father is the King of Sardinia he had to uphold his honour by enlarging and enhancing his Dukedom as well. I haven't figured out yet where that puts me as his potential wife. Probably that leaves the rest to me: upholding our household, keepings our subjects at peace and raising our children, while he's off conquering new territories. I don't know if I'm made for such a lonely existence.

And thirdly there is the Duke. After he apologized at Lady Wellington's dance, he officially came by our house to introduce himself the next day. My father and Nicholas received him with open hostility, but my mother – being the best of us- gave him a chance and welcomed him warmly into our family. Not only did he come by a couple of times after his introduction, he also reduced his activities with my brother. And when he does accompany Elias, it is rumoured he never touched the booze or ale ever again. Much to the resentment of my brother, who clearly seems to have lost his wingman.

For me, I nowadays spend my days on pink clouds, but that did not take away the fact that I kind of miss Christina Arlington. Since we went horse riding, the Princess had fallen ill and has not been seen at balls and other social events anymore. It is said she caught a cold and had travelled therefore to Mrs. Maxwell's house in the countryside, so the fresh country air would speed up the healing process.

I was not sure I believed the rumours. I know it might seem egocentric, but I couldn't help feeling I was the one responsible for her absence and I just couldn't figure out how I had insulted her for being mad at me that way. Perhaps my family history had scared her off after all and made her shun me. I couldn't fathom why, but it was a plausible explanation. Also, thick-headed as I could be sometimes, I could have involuntarily insulted her as well, but I could not remember how I had done that or otherwise I surely would have apologized to her. I had spoken to her of my little trauma, she had consoled me, but what had happened then? Why was she so upset with me?

I decide to confront the Duke with my problem. If there was only one person who knew the true reason Christina was absent, he would be the one. So, when we take a walk through our garden on his third visit to Castle Le Bon, I ask him: 'Tell me, Your Grace, how is your dear sister doing? I haven't seen her in weeks.'

The Duke picks a rose and hands it gallantly to me, while saying: 'She has not been feeling very well lately.' I blush and accept the white rose, abashed.

It is the first time I have caught him telling a lie. He averts his eyes subtly and rearranges the roses in the bush absentmindedly. But I am not ready to let this go. My parents don't call me stubborn as a pig for nothing. I need to have an answer, because this is really bothering me. 'Oh, how devastating for her to be ill during the courting season. Did she catch a cold in the saddle?'