Epilogue

I'm under the Oak tree, looking at the lake beyond but not seeing anything. The preparations for Elias' marriage with the Princess are in full swing and it's the only thing people talk about these days. I'm glad this happy event helps my parents to be at peace with Naomi's untimely death. I for myself can say I think about my little sister every day and I still feel now and then saddened not to have her around anymore. She was right though about one thing, I feel better since I accepted her demise.

At least, I feel better about the death of Naomi now my guilt has gone away for good. What keeps me up at night the last couple of weeks is my brother's marriage with the person I fell in love with. I can't blame Elias for his proposal, since he doesn't know about the history I have with Christina, nor can I blame Christina, since I made her believe her love was a one sided story. Maybe I'm not even to blame, because I have chosen a life society has put on me even before I have met Christina. You can't teach a dog new tricks after all. I did not know there was another way to be happy. And perhaps I secretly did know it, but wasn't prepared to admit it.

Whatever the reason, it left me alone and heart broken. I don't want to help prepare for a wedding I can't bear to have. But I can't stay away either, because it would hurt my brother who's sincerely happy to marry his best friend's sister. He talked to me about courting Christina so many times and finally he was awarded with her hand in marriage. I have not the strength to contradict him. And after all, who would believe me when I did? His joie de vivre attitude is completely gone now, so I guess this was all good for one thing after all. But where does this leave me?

As if he forms the answer to this very question, suddenly I hear footsteps behind me and I see Liam Arlington coming towards me. I rise and curtsy: 'Liam, how nice to see you again.'

'Elizabeth, the pleasure is all mine.' He rubs his blond hair awkwardly. 'Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?' He looks handsome as always, though his eyes don't shine with mischief as they used to do.

'Please.' I sit down in the grass once more and pat a spot next to me. He sits down and puts his arms over his knees.

'It's stunning out here. Elias never showed me this spot.'

I look at the dawning of the sun and see its orange light surrounding us. I close my eyes delighted. 'It really is.'

'It's a nice place to get away from society and to just think about stuff, isn't it?'

'Yes, it sure is. I love to come here.'

'Arlington Park also has a nice spot like this. Maybe my sister has shown you?'

I think about the long walks through the secret passageways, leading up to the Temple of Diana. It feels like the gap in my chest I'm constantly having nowadays becomes even bigger by his words. I bite back my tears and say evasively: 'I think your sister has been kind enough to show me, Liam.' I can't even bear to say her name aloud, because it reminds me of all the times I said her name in other circumstances. Happier circumstances.

Liam looks at me and he sighs full of sympathy. 'You must know by now that we are quite a handful. Christina and I, I mean. Christina is the more responsible between us two – she has always been for that matter - but she too has her irresponsible side.' I don't know what he wants me to say, so I keep silent. 'I know my sister as nobody else does. She knows about my many romances, but I know of her's. I know who she is and who she loves. And she doesn't love your brother, I'm sorry to say.'

'Perhaps not this instant, but she will learn to love him in time. He is a good fellow after all.'

'Nothing against your brother. He is my best friend. I'm glad he's happy now.'