Chapter XV: In the meantime

I couldn't linger too long on last night's events, since the upcoming day is a busy one for me indeed. I start the day with a visit from Mary-Ann, who is desperate to talk to me about my advancements with the Duke. So, I have invited her for lunch at midday to talk things through and to exchange novelties like we used to. We sit down in the tea garden, since the sun is shining merrily. A whole army of carpenters are joining us fighting to get our lovely garden back in shape before summer starts.

At three o'clock I have my next appointment, since Elias invited me yesterday on behalf of Liam to attend a game of Polo, which I never heard of before, at Arlington Park. According to Elias it was a horse game, which found its origin in Persia. It was a game extensively played by the nobility of that country and it soon found its way to India, where one of Liam's friends learned about it and introduced it to his friends in England. Elias told me the rules half-heartedly, since he didn't believe I got them at all. But I tried to remember the rules, so I would cheer at the right time. Besides, as the next Duchess I want to show my husband I know my sports as well. We connected so well during the boxing match and I want to relive that moment during the Polo game.

I keep telling myself over and over again that Polo is played on a big field of grass, around three hundred yards long and hundred sixty yards wide. Centred at each end are goalposts, which are eight yards apart from one another. You score points by hitting the ball between those posts. There are two teams consisting of four members each. Each team tries to score, while the other team tries to prevent the opponents from scoring. One game is divided into six periods of 7.5 minutes each, the so-called chukkers. One match consists of approximately four to eight chukkers. Of course there's more to this game than this, but I guess if I remember these basics I can follow the match quite closely.

I look up from my musings as soon as Mary-Ann enters the garden. We exchange three kisses and I beckon our kitchen maids to serve us fresh lemon tea with some pastries. After I praise her engagement party extensively, she approaches me directly: 'But enough chit chat. I've been dying to know for a couple of days now. How about you and Duke Arlington? How's your courtship progressing?'

I smile and tell her everything that has happened between the two of us and the promises Liam made me. Mary-Ann listens intently and then says: 'I daresay he has changed a lot. Normally talk about his drunkenness and gambling and many affairs would appear daily, but I haven't heard anything about him except good tidings. Even the gossip papers have nothing on him now anymore.'

I beam with pride. 'I knew he was a decent fellow deep down inside. He only needed someone to bring that back to the front line.'

'Yes, Diana used to say that about him all the time as well, since my parents weren't too fond of her marrying the Duke due to his behaviour. I guess she was right after all.'

'I am sorry that he did not choose your sister. I didn't mean to steal him away or something like that. It was never my intention to harm her, since she's your sister.'

Mary-Ann waves away my objections. 'Diana is not fit to be a Duchess. I love my sister very much, but she can be a real nuisance sometimes.' She looks at me apologetically. 'Her childish reaction to you courting the Duke is one example of that. Diana told me she wants to get back at you for stealing away her man.'

'Yes, she told me as well at your engagement party.'

'I am terribly sorry for her vengeful behaviour. I tried to talk her out of it, but she just won't listen. Sometimes I am a bit embarrassed about her acrimonious behaviour. If you ask me, she could better shift her focus from you to finding a decent husband. There are still so many fine husbands out there, why can't she let go of the Duke? She's wasting her years and education on someone, who doesn't love her back and probably never will.'