Chapter V: The ball at Lady Mellington's

The events at the Arlingtons keep me up all night. Therefore, when Alice comes to wake me the next morning, I am already wide awake reading a book on travels by Marquis de Custine, trying to suppress my still simmering emotions. Alice takes one look at me and exclaims: 'Miss, are you not well? You look dreadful, if I may be so bold.'

'It seems my first courting season has already taken its toll on me, I'm afraid.'

I walk to my china cabinet and see dark circles underneath my eyes. 'O, perfect,' I say sarcastically. 'How am I to find a husband now?'

'There's nothing to worry about, miss. It is nothing a little bit of makeup can't fix.'

So, Alice starts to work on me and I have to admit, when she's through with me, I look like a lovely lady once more. I thank her from the bottom of my heart and she curtsies. 'Do not try to make it a habit, miss.'

'Tell that to my brother,' I murmur, while leaving the room. This morning we have breakfast together or so it was decided yesterday, when we drove home. Not to my surprise was Elias absent in mamans morning room. Maman looks disappointed, but papan is outright outraged. He is just calling out the faults in his second son, when I enter the room. They fall silent, while wishing me a good morning. I give them both a kiss on the cheek, sit down and fill my plate with some porridge fish and cheese.

'And you?' my father suddenly turns to me. 'Where did you and the Princess run off to?'

'We took a stroll down the many gardens of Arlington Park.' I take a few envelopes of the silver tray, where Sir Williams thanks me for a very pleasant afternoon and he asks me to make another appointment very soon. I scowl. That's not going to happen. I also read a thank you note from Lord Harvey. Luckily, he is less intrusive. He praises our hospitality and he says he's looking forward to our two dances this evening. I feel excited at once. Since the Duke is obviously not interested in me, I'd better give a good man like Lord Harvey a chance. I hope he's as good a dancer as the Duke was, because when he is the Duke is certainly forgotten after tonight.

My eyes fall on my father, where many emotions cross his face at my words. Happiness that I made friends with someone so high on the social ladder. Displeased, I went outside without a chaperone. Disappointment that, because of my brother's behaviour, there was not the possibility for me to take a stroll with the Duke instead of his sister. Fear of someone spotting my unbefitting behaviour. 'Elizabeth, you know...'

'I am not allowed to go outside without you or maman accompanying me. I know, papan. I don't know what came over me, but I needed air after my words with Elias. The Princess was kind enough to accompany me to keep my honour safe.'

'I guess that counts for something,' my mother soothes him. 'Princess Arlington is a respectable lady and a very kind one at that.'

'I respect the Princess, but this was inappropriate behaviour, Elizabeth. What if someone saw the two of you, hm? I don't think the Princess counts as a proper chaperone, since she herself is not married either.'

'There were no men with them, so I think it will be alright. Moreover, the gardens of Arlington Park are a true maze. The chance of them being seen is very slim indeed.'

My father growls and I quickly add: 'Because we connected, the Princess will introduce me to a couple of her friends, she thinks fit. Perhaps one of them will be my future husband.' I see my father's struggle: stay mad because of my improper behaviour or be glad because of the opportunities it offers? 'I won't do it again, father. I was not thinking clearly,' I add as well.