Chapter XXII: A day at sea

When I open my eyes it is a beautiful day outside already. I open up my window and let the sweet lukewarm May breeze caress my face. The newspapers – and society's talk for that matter – already predicted the sun would find its way to us this day and I must admit they were right for once. Though they also thought a storm would follow the sun, but when I look up at the cloudless sky I think they're definitely wrong about that last one.

Alice dresses me in a yellow, cheerful looking dress with low gloves just above my wrists and matching yellow slippers and a small hat. I am allowed a horse ride today with Christina, aunt Emma, my mother and Naomi and after a short consideration we agree to ride to sea, since the weather is all lovely. Our cook made us a picnic for our seaside trip and cheerfully we kiss papan goodbye before riding off to Brighton joined by the women Arlington.

The ride takes us a bit over an hour, since we ride our horses in a strong gallop. But by the time we arrive in Brighton the sun is at its highest and its warm sun rays bring a thin layer of sweat to my face, making me seem to sparkle like a diamond. We leave our horses on a grassy patch on the beach and lay down our beach towels in a quiet and shadowy spot, because God forbid we get a tan.

While maman and aunt Emma talk about their needlework, Naomi, Christina and I practice sea bathing and since it is said to be a good treatment for ill health, maman doesn't stop us from entering the salty water. And when I say bathing I mean we put out our slippers and walk through the salt water on bare feet. We don't swim though. It's far too cold and it is considered indecent anyway.

We are not alone in Brighton, since I see different men and women, who I got to know during courting season as well. It remains a highly select company though, since Brighton is too expensive to reach. Let alone to live in it. The beach's visitors are all properly dressed still. The women wear crinolines, shawls, gloves and bonnets still, even in the cold seawater. Even an older woman, who is helping her firstborn to paddle has only allowed the hem of her dress to trail in the water rather than pulling it up. The men wear their normal suits and ties and a couple of them even wear their top hats proudly. Next to conversation and splashing around in the sea water, there's also a lot of reading, needlework and some watch entertainment, like donkeys and sideshows, going on here.

We try to hide our faces in the shadows of our bonnets and hats afraid of catching a sunburn, only Naomi has thrown away her hat and allows the sun to darken her face. I shake my head. For a woman a blush of sunburn is considered to be unfeminine and unbecoming, which is why we see parasols everywhere as well. Naomi doesn't seem to care about etiquette as usual though. Therefore, she's not wearing any gloves either, so she definitely will have discoloured hands tonight.

After our walk in the water we return to maman and aunt Emma to have our little picnic. After that I take out a piece of canvas and I begin to draw my surroundings, while Christina keeps a close tab on my progress. I draw the splashing water of the sea, the Royal Suspension Chain Pier of Brighton, the long esplanade where the upper class strolls leisurely by and Brighton's grand hotels. When I grow tired I lay down my head though and fall asleep for a short while.

When I wake my mother is about to leave with Naomi. 'O, you're awake? We were about to leave, since clouds are gathering.'

I look up at the sky, where small patches of clouds are gathering. Not quite enough to hasten home though according to me. 'Maman, can't we just stay a while longer?' I whine. 'I was about to take another walk along the beach.'

'Storm is brewing, dear. We don't want to be caught in it.'

'But I don't want to leave yet.'

'You go, dear,' aunt Emma says, who's still drowsing. 'I will keep an eye on your oldest daughter and Christina and I will bring her home in the evening.'