Chapter 17

Erica stood on the sidewalk of Manchester Road, listening to the sounds of progress. Hammers banging in nails, saws cutting wood, the workers shouting orders or laughing; all of it brought a huge smile to her face. She pressed her face to the glass and watched with contentment as these people worked to make her dream come true.

Deacan had done exactly what he said and gotten Cady the approved plans. Since his company had such a good working relationship with a particular contractor, the owner added Erica’s project to their load even though she’d said she wasn’t taking on any new contracts. When Erica met Marniece, she thanked her profusely. Marniece told her she was happy to do it, happy to help another woman get their start. The work started about three weeks after that meeting and had been going on for a week.

She heard the door squeak open and shifted her eyes to the left. There was her man, leaning against the trim with his arms folded. The short sleeves of his olive green shirt stretched across his biceps and the yellow hardhat he was wearing made him look super manly. The outfit was complete with some brown work pants making Deacan look like he belonged here. Erica’s stomach filled with shooting sparks as she took him in.

“Why are you staring through the window like a creep?” he asked with a chuckle.

“It’s only creepy if it’s not mine,” Erica replied as she walked to him, placing a peck on his cheek. “What are you doing here?” He pulled her in and planted a kiss on her neck, then hugged her.

“I’m here to help,” he replied.

Erica scanned his face, waiting to see if he was joking. He held a straight face, giving nothing away. “Uh...did I miss an occupation change?”

Deacan bent down and picked up a hardhat for her, placing it on her head. She was glad she’d put her hair in two-strand twists because getting a hardhat on a ‘fro wouldn’t have been easy. He walked her into the building as he answered, “Nope, but I do know a lil something, something. Growing up, besides working with my uncle, I worked construction. I’d stay through all phases of the build. So I know a little about plumbing, electric, drywall, and woodwork.” Erica stood with her mouth open by the time they’d reached the back area. “Now I can’t wire a whole building,” he continued, “or anything like that, but I know enough to be able to help.”

“Wow! You are really something! Do you also have some secret identity where you’re saving the world too?” she joked. Deacan unrolled the plans on the table and smirked.

“If you’re that world, then yep!”

Erica laughed loud and hard! “Babe, that was so corny. Why would you say that?!” She was still laughing when Cady came around a corner.

“Hey Erica! Good to see you,” she greeted as she reached out to shake hands, “what’s so funny?” Erica nodded her head toward Deacan and tried to control herself.

“Anyway,” Deacan interrupted, “let’s get these plans and we’ll walk the building.”

The three of them walked around with either Deacan or Cady pointing out what was happening where. There was someone tiling the ceiling, a man was marking the spots where the poles would be installed, and three guys were carrying in the mirrors that would go on the wall.

"So what do you think," Cady asked as Erica watched a woman cutting wood for shelves.

“I think it’s shaping up. I can’t wait to decorate!”

“Great. I’m glad you like it so far.” Cady turned and walked toward the entrance. “I’ll see you both later. I have another site to go to.”

Deacan walked to the door as well. “I’ll watch you to your car,” he said. Cady yelled out a final good-bye to everyone and walked out the door.