EPILOGUE

Four months later

"Deacan, it's a two liter bottle of soda. I can handle a two liter bottle of soda."

Deacan kissed her cheek before taking the bottle from her. "Yeah, I know," was all he said as he walked into the resort's kitchen. Erica knew there was no point in trying to help so she sat at a table in the dining room and waited.

"Hmm, that's your "Deacan's trippin'" face," her mother said as she sat next to her. She gave her daughter a poke in the cheek, making them both laugh. "What did he do now?"

"He's treating me like I can't do anything. My sling is gone. Has been gone for almost a week."

"Well, baby girl, he just doesn't want you to hurt yourself."

Erica huffed at her mother's words. She knew her mom would take Deacan's side. He'd grown closer to her parents since they'd been down in Florida. Her parents basically told her she was coming to Florida so they could take care of her. Since she wasn't able to dance like she wanted, she rented her studio out and flew home with her parents once everything was cleared up with the case. She was there for three weeks before Deacan joined her. He worked out a remote work schedule with Cady and would fly to St. Louis when it was needed.

Deacan spent a lot of quality time with her parents. He'd cook and play pool with her mom and build furniture with her dad. Sometimes, Erica would tag along and she'd be so happy seeing her parents build their own bond with him. If she didn't know better, she would think they liked him more than her. That was a running joke they now had.

"I knew you'd take up for your son," Erica said with air quotes on the word son, "since that's what you call him now." Her playful, mocking tone caused her mother to laugh and wave her on. Erica dramatically folded her arms with a huff.

"Leave my mama alone, baby," Deacan responded as he came out of the kitchen. He hadn't heard what she said, but her body language spoke for her. Lacy shrugged her shoulders, smirking at her daughter at Deacan's defense of her.

Erica rolled her eyes at him. "You don't even know what we're talking about." She put her pout in full effect.

Deacan pulled her from her chair and planted three kisses on her lips. "Details don't matter, Ma's right. Especially since she's probably taking up for me." He leaned in and kissed her neck before he continued,"I have a surprise planned for you tonight and it starts now. So fix your face and go to our room." She looked at Deacan with an arched brow and waited for him to explain. "I'm not telling you anything else so get going, baby."

Erica walked to the elevator with her mother behind her. Lacy stood next to her daughter, smiling at her in the reflective surface. "Mom, do you know what's going on?"

"I sure do! And no, I'm not telling. You'll see in a few minutes."

The elevator opened on the 10th floor and Erica swiped the key card at her door. Rushing in, she almost fell when some people yelled, "SURPRISE!" There were her people, Maya and Clark, along with Colin and Sheri.

"OH MY GOD! What are y'all doing here?!" Erica pulled Maya into a hug.

"Deacan wanted to surprise you, sis, so he told us to come on down," Clark replied as he hugged Erica.

"So here we are, boo! Now let's go because we got plans," Maya said then turned Erica toward her bedroom and told her to read the note on the bed. Erica did as she was told.

Hey, love. I wanted to do something to show you how much you mean to me. Today is about making you happy, so I wanted everyone we care about here to help me do that. So head to the spa with your girls, hair and nails later, and I'll see you tonight. I love you, Erica! Your man, Deacan.