Chapter 28

"Chile, if you don't hurry up!" Lacy hollered up the steps at Erica. "We need to leave so you can do your last minute checks."

Erica had just put her foot in her gold wedges when her mom called to her. She took one last look in the mirror, admiring her gold corset with wide leg black pants, and patted herself on the back for looking so good. "Tonight's the night!" she said to herself.

"ER-I-CA! Get your butt down these steps!" her mother yelled. Erica turned off her light and hurried out of her room. Grown as she was, her mother wasn't to be played with. Lacy rolled her eyes as her daughter kissed her cheek.

"Hurry up, Mama," she said as she headed toward the door, laughing quietly. When she turned to see her mother mean-mugging her, Erica's laughter got louder. "I'm just playin' wit you, Mom."

"Where's your father when I need him?" Lacy asked with feigned exasperation. Both of them grabbed their coats and bags from the couch. The winter cold had shown up and it was no joke. Erica was ready to run to her car every time she left the house. At those moments, she envied Deacan having a garage and this was one of those moments. She'd have to settle for a fast walk since she was wearing wedges.

Erica looped her arm around her mother and pulled her out the door. "Let's go celebrate and get you some backup for my shenanigans."

***

I'm parking now.

Erica sat her phone down after texting Deacan. She parallel parked like a champ and her mother gave her light applause. She loved that her mom played into her silliness. They always had a good time together. When they were out of the car, Lacy pulled her daughter into a long hug and held her tight. There were tears in her eyes when she pulled back.

"You are the best daughter a mother could ask for," Lacy told Erica through sniffles, "and I'm extremely proud of you! You live your life and you go after your dreams. I want to be like you when I grow up!" She laughed at this last line.

"Mom-my, you're gonna make me cry! I learned from the best," Erica replied then kissed her mother on the cheek. "Let's go see my studio!"

When they got in front of the building, none of the lights were on. Erica's nerves kicked up because Deacan was supposed to have been there to let the caterers and decorators in. It was 45 minutes until the party started. She pulled out her phone and called him. There was no answer.

A curse slipped from her lips and Lacy looked at her. "Sorry, Mom," she said while pulling the studio key out of her purse. "Deacan was supposed to be here but the place is dark and now he's not answering."

"I'm sure it's fine," Lacy was saying as Erica pushed the door open and flicked the light switch. Erica gasped at the sight of her man in a black suit with gold trim, leaning against one of the poles, holding a bouquet. There were gold and black balloon pillars in every corner of the studio. The photo station in the back had a black background with gold lettering that read "ALWAYS TIME FOR DANCE" repeatedly in medium sized print.

The tables were set with black and gold cloth and the food looked delicious. There were mini sandwiches of fish, chicken, turkey, and beef; fruit and vegetable trays; and trays holding mini desserts. A few tables and chairs had been set up so people could sit if they wanted. The bar was set up with black and gold cups. The liquor would flow tonight, well at least for three hours. DJ Jams was finishing her set up in a corner and would be ready in a few minutes. Everything was perfect, just like she'd wanted.

She was stunned. He'd made sure it looked exactly how she'd wanted it to. Deacan walked up to her and handed her the bouquet.

"Black and gold lilies and orchids for my black and gold beauty! You look gorgeous!" Deacan exclaimed as he pulled her into a kiss. Just like every other time he kissed her, she felt loved and weightless. Kissing Deacan was like the rush of the drop when you are riding a rollercoaster. It was nerves and apprehension mixed with thrill and exhilaration.