Chapter 35

"Come on, Deac! Give me five more!" Clark was demanding as Deacan lifted the barbell. Colin was across from them on the leg press, trying to suppress a laugh at Clark's motivation. Deacan pushed out the last five and Clark helped him replace the bar.

"Clark, chill out!" Deacan said with a chuckle. "And you," he pointed at Colin, "it's your turn, so come on."

Clark feigned offense as Colin walked over to switch out the weights. "I take time out of my day to be your personal trainer and cheerleader and you scoff at me?!"

"Yes!" both men replied. Clark glared at them both then sat on a bench and flipped them off. All three laughed at that.

"So what y'all doing after this?" Colin asked as he lifted the bar. Deacan checked to make sure he was good before he answered.

"I'm going home to work on some building plans, then watch something til I fall asleep."

Clark gasped dramatically, "That's right. Tonight's the spa night. Sheri has been talking about it all week. This will be good for her." Then he proceeded to fake cry. "God, I'm going to miss her!"

"I feel you. Sweets put it on me since we won't be together tonight," Colin added, his voice strained as he lifted the weight.

Clark's face went from shock to anger to disgust. "Dude, that's my real life cousin. Don't talk about her like that in front of me!"

Colin laughed before saying, "Clark, you hear worse than that from Maya!" Deacan shrugged his shoulders and nodded his agreement.

"I know, but you still on probation, so you can't talk like that about her in front of me yet."

Deacan huffed at his friend then mouthed to Colin to drop it. Colin grunted and continued his workout. Clark grabbed some free weights and started doing bicep curls. Deacan heard someone walking in but didn't look up.

"Hmm, I love the focus in here. Maybe you can spot me later?"

"I don't want to spot you at all. Move along."

"No need to be cruel, Deacan." Jennifer walked a few steps closer and trailed her fingers down his arm. "You loved watching me before."

Deacan moved his arm away and helped Colin rack the barbell. He turned to her then, eyes narrowed and said, "This isn't before. Move on." Before she could say anything else, he walked off toward the locker room.

Jennifer was about to go after him, but Clark stepped in front of her, blocking her way. "That ain't smart, girl. Leave him alone."

"Clark, I know you're Team Erica, but he belongs with me!"

"Doubtful. Stay the hell away from my boy or you'll regret it."

"What? Are you going to get your little hoodrat cousin on me?" Jennifer scoffed and folded her arms.

Clark set the dumbbells down, giving Colin the chance to step up. "Hi. Not nice to meet you. Maya's my girl and I tolerate no disrespect about her. Keep her out your mouth and like my boy said, stay away from Deacan."

Jennifer hadn't paid much attention to Colin until now. She looked him up and down, stumbling back from him. Her breathing picked up slightly and she felt hot. She knew her skin was flushed.

"You a trip! Runnin' round tryna convince Deacan you so in love with him and you checkin' out Colin. You a snake!" Clark called her out. He tapped Colin and motioned toward the locker room. They left her standing there.

"Is she gone?" Deacan asked as soon as they walked in.

"Not sure. We left her standing in the weight room," Colin replied.