Chapter 25

The vacation and Thanksgiving holiday had been great. Erica was glad she'd seen her parents and met Uncle Mick. She felt silly that she'd been nervous in the first place. Everyone had gotten along, no awkwardness. Her parents approved of Deacan and Uncle Mick adored her. He told her that he liked her more than Deacan when he hugged her goodbye. Mitchell had said it loud enough for Deacan to hear, causing Deacan to tackle him when he let Erica go.

Mitchell had said goodbye to everyone and called for Deacan to walk with him to his car. He placed his bag in the trunk then faced Deacan after closing it. He placed his hands on Deacan's shoulders, looked him in the eyes, and said, "I'm real proud of you, nephew! Good job, got a house, and now you have a good woman to make it all complete."

Deacan couldn't help the smile that came across his face at his uncle's words. It felt good hearing he was proud of him. "Thanks, Uncle Mick. I really appreciate that."

"Now, you take care of that girl," Mitchell took a step back and continued, "like I said before, she's way better than that other girl. That's a woman you got in there and she ain't nothing to play with. Don't go do nothing stupid and lose her." He lightly hit Deacan in the shoulder for emphasis.

"I love that woman, Unc. I'm not letting her go," Deacan replied.

Mitchell laughed loudly and shook Deacan. "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, NEPHEW! Lock it down!"

He pulled his uncle in for a hug. "I will, when the time is right." He let go and walked Mitchell to the driver's door.

"Alright, boy, I'm gone. See y'all soon," Mitchell said as he got into the car. He honked his horn as he pulled off and Deacan gave him a two finger salute.

Deacan walked back into the resort and headed up to his room. He found Erica packing the last of her clothes in her suitcase. He stood in the doorway, watching her maneuver the last of her shoes around in the case before she zipped it up.

"You being a creeper again?" she asked when she turned to him, sitting on the bed.

"Yep," he said as he sat next to her, "not sorry about it either." Then he pulled her on top of him.

"No, Deacan, we don't have time," Erica said as she tried to wiggle away from him. This only caused him to hold on tighter.

"Naughty girl, get your mind out the gutter!" Deacan kissed her shoulder, her cheek, and then placed a soft kiss on her lips before he laid his head back down to look at her. She looked back at him, a content smile on her face. He felt at peace and knew this was the moment to tell her. "Erica, I -"

Erica's phone disturbed the intimacy between them and she groaned. "Hold that thought." She got up and answered the call. "Hey, Dean, what's up?"

Deacan stood and began checking the room, making sure they hadn't left anything. He heard Erica yell and came back to her. Her expression switched between shock and anger before she spoke again.

"It's the studio."

***

They'd landed a few hours ago and Erica, Deacan, and Dean had given statements to the police. The crime scene technicians had taken pictures and walked through the studio collecting anything they thought would be evidence. There was glass everywhere! The mirrors had been smashed and spray painted across the walls in blood red lettering was the phrase, "I'M COMING FOR YOU!"

When Officer Clint Davis first asked her about the words, they hadn't made sense. She couldn't think of having done anything to anyone that would have them coming after her.

"You're sure there are no problems with anyone? A past coworker, an ex, a neighbor, nothing?"

"I got out of a relationship a few months ago. Jonathan wasn't happy, but he wouldn't do this," Erica told Officer Davis.