Chapter 39

"Do you have everything in place for Friday?" Jennifer asked.

"Money talks. I have people following them. Erica's friends won't make it to the lake. We'll have all the time we want."

Jennifer clapped her hands excitedly. "Oh Jonathan, we're about to get our happily ever after." She couldn't wait to surprise Deacan at the cabin. She was watching him and Erica on the surveillance app. They were packing, kissing and touching each other intermittently, making Jennifer want to gag. She turned the phone to Jonathan. He squinted at the video and grunted. "I know, disgusting, but we'll have them back soon."

She explained that she'd placed a tracking device on Deacan's car, though she knew where they were going. You could never be too careful.

"That was smart thinking."

"Of course, I'm not an idiot. I mean, I was stupid for leaving Deacan, but that'll be fixed in mere hours." Jennifer had everything all worked out. There was one of two ways this whole thing would end. Either she was leaving that cabin with Deacan, and Erica and Jonathan would be dead or all of them would be dead. She was no idiot. Jonathan and Erica were loose ends. She would keep Jonathan alive until his usefulness ran out.

All of this would be blamed on him. She'd also have to hurt Deacan for this to work. Leave some of his blood behind. Maybe a finger or a toe, maybe both. They were going to disappear if everything went according to her plan. Jennifer had enough money for them to live in some far away country, somewhere without extradition.

"When do we leave?" Jonathan asked. He was ready to get this over with. The sooner he got to Erica, the better. He was biding his time, then he'd kill Jennifer.

"It's about a three hour drive. They need to feel safe so we can catch them off guard. We'll leave around seven and get there around 10:00. I had some recon done where they'll be staying. We'll park down the road from their cabin and walk up. Don't want to ruin the surprise."

"Sounds good to me. Let's get this over with."

***

Erica texted Maya and Sheri when they pulled up in front of the cabin to let them know they made it. The cabin was beautiful. It had a front deck with a swing bench that Erica couldn't wait to cuddle on while the fire pit kept them warm. She wanted to watch the stars with Deacan tonight. The front door opened into a spacious living room containing a curved, chocolate brown sectional with a black tempered glass coffee table in front of it. There was also a big screen television mounted on the wall near the fireplace.

Deacan walked past her to their bedroom and dropped off their luggage. He walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her as she placed groceries on the shiny black countertop. "I'm glad we came up here early," he said with a kiss to her neck.

"Me too. Thank you again for doing this."

"I'm supposed to take care of you. No thanks needed."

Erica placed the steaks on the counter then turned to face Deacan. "I don't ever want you to think I take you for granted, so the thanks is needed." She made sure to look him in the eyes so there was no confusion about how much she appreciated what he did for her.

"You're welcome, baby," he replied, then pecked her lips. "We're going to take these few days and forget everything. Jennifer has been notified about the restraining order, so we'll deal with court when we get back." Erica scrunched up her face at the mention of Jennifer. Deacan laughed heartily and squeezed her. "What?"

She rolled her eyes at him. "You know what."

"I do," he replied as he laughed, "I won't mention her, him, or anybody that has anything to do with them for the rest of the trip." He let her go and washed his hands, then asked if she needed help with anything.