Chapter 40

Deacan kept his eyes on Clint and his gun. There was a whooshing sound in his ears, his whole body tense. His brain was catching up to Jonathan and Clint being here with Jennifer. They were all working together. He wanted to kill them all, starting with the raggedy bastard pointing his gun at him.

"Put your gun down, Clint!" Jennifer ordered as he walked past her into the cabin.

Clint chuckled and shook his head. "Naw. This will make sure our boy here doesn't get any heroic ideas."

"He's not going to do anything. He wouldn't risk any harm to Erica, right, Deacan?" Jennifer pointed her gun at Erica. Deacan raised his hands in surrender. "See? Now lower the gun before you accidentally shoot him!" Jennifer yelled at Clint.

It was quiet while Clint contemplated what he was going to do. After a few seconds, he lowered the gun. Jennifer stepped up to Jonathan and slapped him across the face. Clint whooped at her display. Jonathan jumped up from the floor and Jennifer's gun was immediately in his chest.

"That was for trying to warn them, which I knew you would." She reached into her back pocket and threw some zip ties at him. "Now tie them up and don't try anything else." Jennifer took a few steps back, waving the gun at him for him to get to work.

Jonathan picked the zip ties up from the floor, then dragged two chairs away from the table. He moved to get Erica and Clint told him to stop.

"No, do him first," Clint ordered. Jonathan sneered at him. If he didn't have that gun, Jonathan would've tackled him to the ground and beat him to death. Him and Jennifer. She'd held him hostage in her house since mid-November. He'd been at the office after hours, thinking and getting drunk. Jennifer came in talking about how they were both lonely and they could be there for each other. She convinced him to go back to her place.

During their second round of sex, while she was riding him into oblivion, Jennifer had plunged a syringe into his neck. When he woke up, he had a massive headache and was bound to a chair. She'd told him this crazy ass plan she'd come up with to get Deacan back. Then after Thanksgiving, Clint got involved. When he'd first shown up at the house, Jonathan thought he'd help him, especially since he was a cop. Crazy must recognize crazy because she convinced him to help her. Plus, the money she's paying him probably helped. Now, he needed to figure out how to get Erica out of this.

Jonathan grabbed Deacan by the arm and began pulling him up from the floor.

"Get your hands off me, man!" Deacan yelled as he pushed Jonathan away from him. Jonathan staggered back, then caught himself. Before Jonathan could do anything, Clint was there with his gun in Deacan's face.

"Move. Please move so I have a reason." Clint was itching to put a bullet in Deacan. All the disrespect he had taken from him while working this case. His partner scolding him as if he were a child. Even going so far as to bring his behavior up to their captain. He knew Jennifer wanted to ride off into the sunset with this bastard, but Clint wasn't going to let Deacan off so easily. He'd wait for the right moment to kill them all.

Jennifer kept her gun pointed at Erica but addressed Clint. "Get that gun out of his face." She started to get nervous when he didn't move immediately. She knew his brain was working to figure out how far he could go. Maybe if she made him think she'd let him hurt Deacan, she'd have control a little longer. Though she hadn't planned to get rid of Clint, she was starting to think she wouldn't have a choice.

"I think," Clint began, scratching his temple with his free hand, "we need to get this moving before I..." He trailed off. Deacan and Jonathan stared at him. They both saw the wild look in his eye. Both knew that if they didn't do something soon, this situation was going to hell in a handbasket.

Jennifer walked to Clint and whispered in his ear. She told him she'd let him be the one to cut a finger or two off Deacan when the time came. Clint chuckled and nodded his approval. Jennifer smiled and thought of how she'd put a bullet in him first. Nobody got to hurt her man.

Jonathan moved to put the zip ties on Deacan as Clint stepped away from them. He looked in Deacan's eyes and glanced in Clint's direction. Deacan grimaced and Jonathan wasn't sure if he understood what he was trying to tell him.

Deacan held Jonathan with a hard stare and said, "Let's get this over with," as he slightly tilted his head in Jennifer's direction. Jonathan gave a small nod. He quickly turned and rushed Jennifer. Deacan went low like a linebacker and tackled Clint.

The sound of Clint's gun going off when Deacan crashed into him caused Erica to get off the floor. "Deacan!" she screamed as both men hit the floor.

"RUN!" Deacan yelled back. Clint was trying to reach for his dropped gun while he punched at Deacan's head. "Erica, get the hell out of here!"

Jonathan was wrestling with Jennifer for her gun. Deacan was trying to subdue Clint and protect himself against being hit. Erica wanted to help them, but trying to get in the middle of things might make it worse. Though it went against everything in her, she did what her man told her to do. She ran to the bedroom and snatched her phone off the bed. As she ran out the back door into the frigid air, she heard another gunshot. The tears were instant, streaming down her face as she ran into the night. 

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE: WHEW!! Y'all, this year has started off rough. I'm getting back into the swing of things. Bear with me, y'all. We're almost at the end.