Chapter 38

Erica took her boots off at Sheri's door and wiggled her toes. She couldn't wait to have a drink and relax. The sound of Maya and Sheri laughing told her they were on the second floor. They'd been hanging out more since their sleepover in January so Sheri could feel more comfortable. It seemed to be working if the sound of her laughter was any evidence.

"What's so funny?" Erica asked as she dropped her duffle bag on the floor. Maya was wiping tears from her eyes from laughing so hard. All she kept saying was Clark's name.

When Sheri calmed down, she told Erica about Clark trying to imitate that dance scene from Risky Business where the actor's wearing a shirt, some underwear, and socks. Clark tried to do the slide in and lost control, sliding into the wall. He then fell to the floor and just laid there, half groaning, half laughing.

Now all of them were laughing at the story.

"I love that man," Sheri admitted with a dreamy quality. Then her eyes went big and she slapped her hands over her mouth. "Oh gosh, don't say anything to him."

Maya and Erica just giggled like schoolgirls at their new friend. "Sheri," Maya began, "we wouldn't do that. Now I will tease him to drive him crazy knowing something he doesn't, but I wouldn't tell him."

"When are you going to tell him?" Erica asked as she plopped down on the floor.

"Is it super cheesy to do it on Valentine's?"

Erica grabbed some meat, cheese, and crackers from the charcuterie board on the table in front of her. "Well, y'all are," she waved the piece of smoked gouda at her before assembling her snack. All of them burst out laughing.

"Whatever, Erica," Sheri choked out, but she had a huge smile on her face at the thought of Clark.

Maya sat up on the bed and took a sip of her wine. "Speaking of Valentine's Day, what are y'all's plans?"

"Clark hasn't said anything, which is unusual. I wanted to ask but didn't want to seem thirsty, so I'm just waiting for him to mention it," Sheri replied.

Maya told them Colin was working on a case so they would celebrate later. Erica told them Deacan made plans for dinner, but that was all she knew. The friends sat around, eating and drinking wine while Erica told them how her first couples night event went. The women she'd taught the routine to gave their men a good show. Two couples decided to use the private rooms. When one couple left, the husband gave her an extra $200. He told Erica that she'd really helped his wife find herself.

"Well, that's a banging endorsement. I'm signing up!" Sheri exclaimed.

"Girl, you don't have to pay for my class. I'll teach you some stuff."

"No, this is your business and I want to support it. At full price, too!" Though she had a smirk on her face, she was serious. Sheri knew Erica would try to give her a discount and she didn't want that. She wanted to fully support her friend.

Erica was about to thank her when there was a knock at the door. Sheri slightly jumped at the sound. Maya asked if she was alright.

"I'm not expecting anyone or a delivery," Sheri replied.

Erica felt her stomach drop. The last week or two, she'd felt like someone was watching her. She'd feel the pinpricks of anxiety across her skin, her mouth going dry. Though she never saw anyone, she couldn't get rid of the feeling. Sometimes the feeling would come when she was leaving Deacan's house. Other times it would happen when she was at the studio. Erica was usually an upbeat person, but there were days she'd have to push herself into her life, trying not to let fear lead her.

Had that person followed her here? Had she put her friends in danger? They knew the situation with Jonathan. Every time they spoke, whether in person or on the phone, they warned her to be careful. And she was; as careful as she could be.