CH 23 - NO REST FOR THE WICKED

No rest for the Wicked - No peace and quiet for anyone; to be kept terribly busy as terrible things continue to happen.

Zora looked up from her seat on a rock to find Bryce swimming in Sleepy Lake. Zora was remembering the night after they found the dagger in Hawaii. The group rested around a large bonfire, as a Kālua pig finished roasted. Liam caught the pig and decided to make a feast of it since it was Christmas officially. Kālua is a traditional style of cooking that involves an "Imu" or underground oven. The pig is buried in the earth with hot rocks and banana leaves. After plenty of time and patience, the pig takes on an incredible texture and flavour that locals believe is worth the wait. In Hawaii, families and communities gather in their backyards or at the beach for a festive feast.

Scott pulled out a small ukulele and started playing Christmas carols, as they filled their belly with the best meal and drank well into the night. Zora sat with Bryce's arms wrapped around her. It was the first Christmas she ever had that was perfect. Absolutely perfect. Who knew going to a supernatural school would be the thing that ever happened to her?

After a few laps around the massive lake, Bryce saw Zora. Zora shook her head as Bryce came walking out of the lake. It was like Baywatch, as he moved in the slow motion, running his hand through his hair, as water cascaded down his body. His swim trunks weighing low on his hips. Zora held up his towel.

"Hey."

"Hey Baywatch." Bryce chuckled. "Nice swim?"

"Somewhat." To get away from all the voices, Bryce headed to the lake in the Whispering Woods. Zora had been sleeping when the dagger on her nightstand lit up. She knew someone was in danger. It was like a beckoning light that led her to the lake to find Bryce swimming. Zora looked past Bryce as a monster appeared in the water behind them.

"Monster!" It was a squid like monster. Bryce turned. He sighed.

"It's a Lich."

"What's a Lich again?" Zora asked.

"It's like a magical squid ink type monster. Must have followed us from Hawaii, that is where they are mostly located." Bryce takes on the Lich. "Must have been drawn by the dagger since we took it from the cave." Zora looked down to see the dagger lit up again.

"I got this then," Zora said. Bryce held his hand out to wave Zora along. He knew his girlfriend was strong enough to take on a solo Lich monster.

Zora was about to lunge into the water when she stopped. She turned her head to the side and smiled. She willed the electricity around her and used water as the conductor to electrocute the Lich. electric waves were in the lake and travelled to the Lich. The Lich was gravely injured and returned to its home to heal.

Bryce saw how Zora easily defeated the monster using her wits. He felt so proud of her. He went to pick her, and they both went back to their rooms, trying to go to sleep.

They had no breaks from the monsters it seemed. The parents of the younger witches were asking Margaret if this school is capable enough to protect their children. Zora felt guilty knowing it was all because of her. Had she not come here to school then maybe the monsters would have left them alone.

"I can sense your guilt from a mile away," Derek said, sitting next to me.

Zora grimaced and looked at him. He had a beanie and a scarf that went up to his cupid's bow. Winter was coming around as the New Year came. Everyone wore their CFBS Blazer along with their uniforms at the chill in the air. Derek's blond hair was tied with a small band behind him. His Violet eyes were bright and his nose red.

"Am I wrong in feeling it?" Zora challenged him. "If I hadn't come here, maybe the Sirens wouldn't have come here, and maybe I wouldn't have found the dagger and more monsters wouldn't have followed me..."