Chapter 16

Jennie throws her canvas bag across the room as soon as she enters her office. Her heart was beating fast as she runs her hands to push back at her hair, feeling angry and frustrated.

She lost a case.

Here's what most people don't know about certain law, it sucks. If one law enforcement doesn't pull the strings well, one criminal will slip away, and that could cost over 100 life in danger, and Jennie hates to think that she will be the reason this thing happens.

Well, it's not really her fault, the stupid attorney should have known better. Jennie ought to be very conscientious and she won't stay still until things get done in a win-win situation, so it sure is the attorney's fault. But still, letting a criminal go isn't always a choice for most prosecutors.

Kai knocks on her door, hands holding two cups of coffee, "You did great, Jen. The judge was a bit of an asshole," He clicks his tounge and slips in the office to sit on the sofa at the corner of Jennie's office.

He sets down the cups and smiles at his work mate, "I can't believe I lost this case! I had everything prepared and I had him." She decides that it's best to let go, for now.

They stare outside, rain pouring hard as people in the streets runs around with umbrellas, and the man hums, "The day is already as bad as it seems, we wouldn't want a tempered Jennie too now, would we?"

He glances at his watch, "I need to go. My parents wants to have dinner with me and I'm the chef of the day so, see you tomorrow?"

"Sure, don't burn the kitchen!"

Kai laughs it off as he stands up and walked away. Jennie stares out the large glass of her office, her anger no longer roaring, but she still feels disappointed. She's gonna have to do better.

She was so into her mind, that when the phone rang, she gasped loudly. It was near 7 p.m. and she just finished her case of the day, so she wonders who would call her at this hour.

Oh right, the mother.

"Hi sweetheart, how did your case go?" The sweet voice of her mother was so soothing and she smiles despite the lack of virtuality, "I lost it," she sighs and her mother's tone turns into a worried one, "You're not going to stay up in the office again, are you?" She does that, when back then she was a rookie and gets anxious before and after her cases, she'll stay up to study more and more until she gets nosebleed.

"I won't," She assures, "But I'll be back late 'cause I need to clean up my office." Her mother reminds her one more time to take care of herself before they end the call.

She cleans up, she did, and it was tiring as hell. Should've done it when Kai was here, he could've helped a little.

She checks the watch again and it was pass 9, "Oh, I'm hungry." She mumbles when her tummy grumbles, scolding her for skipping dinner. She looks outside and it was still raining, and she didn't bring her umbrella, what an unfortunate day for Jennie.

She walks through the lobby, head staring low as judging eyes stares at her, it was a law office after all. She sighs in relief when she passes the door, but her breath stops soon after.

A car was parked right in front of the door, and a woman was standing beside it.

Lisa was there.

An umbrella in a hand, the other in her jeans pocket. She had her back on Jennie though, staring at the street across the building. Jennie's heart thumps loudly, she felt like everything that was around them turns dark as she stares at the back of Lisa's coat, who was waiting for her, and God knows how long she might have been waiting, so she approaches.