2. Rejection

The next day...

I woke up feeling light headed, because I was really thinking about the same problems last night. I want to make sure that the decision I'm going to make will not be a regret.

Our wired telephone rings, and I answered.

"Hello?"

"Good morning babe"

So, it is my girlfriend, she sounded so excited, but that's odd she called me in my wired telephone.

"Have you packed to your bags? We're leaving at 2 p.m... Everything else you need to know is in that ticket." She adds.

I didn't know what to say, I couldn't tell her that i'm going to an audition knowing we agreed on leaving today, she's going to break up with me... But I can't lie to her forever.

I might as well have to tell her... Here it goes...

"I'm sorry, babe." I said with a trembling voice.

"Why?" Her tone starts to lower down, I'm thinking her beautiful smile is fading right now.

"I'm going to an audition for today, a record label saw our entry and they texted us, they said they want to see us perform and they may sign us."

She starts to sob, "I knew it! You would choose your dreams over me! I can't believe I even trusted you again! I was so stupid to believe in your promises, that we will be together forever in Scotland! No more, there's going to be no more us, Matt. We are over!" She said, slamming the phone.

I knew it would come to this, I couldn't help but to cry. I cried my ass off for a few hours until I heard someone knocking. I couldn't even say "come in" because my voice was so tired of making drones out of crying, so I just got off bed and opened the door, it was my mom. When she saw me, she quickly pulled me for a hug.

"What happened, Matt?" She asked, the concern heard in her voice.

"My girlfriend broke up with me, because of the audition I told you about." I said while sniffing and sobbing.

"Oh God... Just cry it out son. I'll be here." She said while rubbing my back and trying to calm me down, so I cried more.

After awhile of crying and a mother - son hugging, she softly tells me "you have to be ready for your audition. Fix yourself, I'll reheat the food I made for you."

I pulled away from her and thanked her before going to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror, wow I look fucked up. My eyes are swelling, my nose is red. My head hurts, it's killing me, but I have to focus on my dreams now that I don't have the love of my life, I need to get up from this. Although i know it's never going to be easy, but I will try.

I turned on the shower and cried again, thinking about all the memories we've had, her family really accepted me and liked me, it was all great, but I feel like I don't belong there. I continued crying and praying, hoping I made the right choice.

I finished bathing myself, and picked out some clothes to wear, my eyes are still swelling and my head still hurts, but alright I can do this.

I got downstairs and mom was serving the food for me.

"Come and eat. Don't starve yourself, you need energy for today" she said smiling, hoping that maybe she could make me smile too, I didn't ruin her hope and gave her a smile and I started eating.

After eating, i left our house and made my way to Dom's house, coz he might still be sleeping at this moment.

I rang the bell and Dom opened the door, wow, he's awake this time.

"I'm ready-... woah! What the fuck happened to you?! Are you okay, man?" He asked concerned.

"My girlfriend broke up with me because I still chose to audition, but I am better now. Let's just not talk about it, it might ruin the audition, maybe later" I said calmly

"Okay as you say, let's go to Chris's." He said and when we turned to go, we saw Chris standing outside already.

"You okay, Matt?" He asks too, "from his swelling eyes, he probably cried so he's not." Dom says and whispers something to Chris.

"No you guys I am really okay, let's just not talk about it please. Thank you." I said.

The three of us made our way to the venue where the label has told us to perform, we set up our gear and started playing.

We played Sunburn.

I was thinking about her all the time, I'm picking the wrong notes on guitar and keyboards, my voice is cracking out of crying. Everything sounded fucked up.

We finished the performance, the people from the label who watched did not look impressed. They gave us comments like "the drummer and the bassisst are okay, but you need to find another vocalist.", "I think the vocalist needs to improve.", and "you guys are ready to perform, except the vocalist."

It's the first time in many many years of performing someone judged me like that. It was painful.

They asked Chris and Dom to sign with them but both guys refused.

"Muse would not be Muse without Matt, he founded this group, he write the songs the both of us can relate and play to, we enjoy playing with him. We would never ditch him for another vocalist" Dom protested.

"You see, he's not really fine right now, so could you give him a chance?" Chris asked

The label people said no, they said this is the only chance we are getting, it's either they sign with them or the three of us will rot in the no label scene.

"We prefer to have no label cause that's with Matt." Dom says. "Let's get our gears out of here." Chris said and starts unloading our gear with Dom.

I was standing there, frozen solid.

*******

-Dom's POV-

Chris and I decided to also fixed Matt's gear cause we can see he was just standing in the corner, probably in trance, trying to get everything that's happened in his head.

I hope he doesn't do something stupid after this, he's kinda suicidal.

After we fixed all our gear, I walked towards Chris. "Let's take Matt to his favorite pub and have a drink with him" I whispered, "I doubt he would do that, he would probably decline our offer, and stay home." Chris said and he's sure about it.

I stopped and think for a second, "then maybe we could stay in his garage and have some fun." I added.

"That's not a very bad idea." Chris agreed.