How To Traditionally Prepare Matcha

Ingredients:

-5 mL (1 tsp) matcha

-60 mL (1/4 cup) water, plus a warm bowl 

Instructions:

1. Heat water. Green tea is very tricky when it comes to water temperature. Use simmered water, not boiling hot. If using an electric kettle with a temperature setting, set it to 175°F. Using water that's too hot can make the matcha taste too bitter and using water that's not hot enough can make it harder to whisk.

2. Warm up a bowl and rinse matcha whisk. Pour hot water into the bowl halfway and swirl the hot water around. Dip the whisk and move it around to soak the tips to soften them. Pour out the water and dry the bowl using a clean cloth or paper towel.

3. Scoop and sift matcha into the warmed up bowl. Place a mesh strainer over the dry matcha bowl and using the matcha scoop, put matcha into the strainer. Sift matcha, using the scoop to help sift.

4. Pour 2 tablespoons of hot water into the bowl and whisk. This step is a make sure you don't have clumps and it's essentially making a matcha paste. Move the whisk around slowly in half circles until all clumps are gone.

5. Add 2 more tablespoons of hot water. Whisk vigorously. Hold the handle of the whisk using your thumb and index finger, holding the whisk upright. Use the rest of the fingers to rest to support the whisk. The whisking movement should come from the wrist. Briskly move the whisk in a zig-zag or a "W" shape. You want to make around 10-15 W's. You can also push any bubbles to the side of the bowl to pop.

6. Drink from the bowl. Matcha is meant to be sipped using both hands. Place your left hand under the bowl and your right hand rounding the side of the bowl. Traditional matcha in a bowl is meant to be finished in three sips.

7. Rinse bowl and whisk with hot water. Make sure to clean the whisk with only water, never soap or cleaning products. Wipe the matcha scoop with a dry cloth or paper towel. Store the matcha in a tightly sealed container.