Chapter Six

Cole POV

I lead Mikaela to the main door, with a slight push. I just wanted to touch her. I was so lame. Falling for a mated wolf.

"Dude, you better hope Asher doesn't see where your hand is" My idiot brother says in my head. I let go of her waist. Jace was such a mood killer. If Mikaela didn't mind, why should he?

She stops outside the library door, unsure of which way to go.

- This way – I tell her, taking the opportunity and placing my hand on her shoulder to make her come with me. She inhales deeply before she starts walking next to me.

- So Luna, you liking our pack? – Jace says pointing at me.

- I only know you guys, your parents and Elena. But you all seem nice. – She says smiling. All her smiles are different, I liked this one. It was genuine.

- You miss your friends back in your pack? – I ask. I wanted to know everything.

- No. I had been away too long. All my friends are from college. But I haven't spoken to them since I left. – She said.

- Why not? – Jace asked.

- I don't really have close friends. Just people I hang out with. – She says. I wonder why.

- Really? You're not a people person? –I want to know.

- I'm not sure. I'm not good at keeping friends. – she says.

- Are you a mean bitch? – Jace asks.

- Only when I have to be – She says and winks at him. I felt a burn in my chest. Why did she wink at him? We started down the stairs.

- What would make you a mean bitch? – I ask her.

- Wronging me of course. – She said. – And me noticing. I usually don't care what others do. But when I do care, well... I'll curse the moon goddess if I have to. – she adds. Her determination was sexy. But weird. Cursing the moon goddess?

- You can't be serious – says Jace. – Respect the goddess a little.

We were always taught to speak of the moon goddess in respect.

- What did she ever do for me? – She says. I now understood her angry glares at the moon.

- You can't be serious. She gave you your m- Jace was cut off by Mikaela.

- I'm an orphan. Is that not taking enough? – She dares him to answer. Jace doesn't.

I don't understand her pain. I was lucky enough to have both my parents, but I wanted to soothe hers. I was about to reach out to hug her when her mate showed up.

-Kay! – He said. I just wanted to punch him.

-Ash. – she said not stopping.

Jace and I followed them until he left because "Elena was calling him", so it was just me walking with Mikaela and her mate towards the dining room. Just my luck.

I watched her walk. If it wasn't for the hand around her shoulders, I would love the sight.

We sat in our usual positions and dinner began. Elena tried making small talk again, making Mikaela uncomfortable. Asher kept moving beside me in attempts to touch his mate. But for some reason Mikaela always brushed him off. I didn't know if she did it on purpose or not. I also didn't know if anyone else noticed.

When dinner was over, Asher and Mikaela left for their bedroom. My chest felt a little empty watching her go, but I was not her mate.

- Cole – My mom said. Shit. I knew what she wanted to talk about.