Chapter Eighteen

Cole POV

One week earlier.

After I came back from Liam's pack, a few months ago, I told my father and mother about Kara's rejection when I was eighteen. They understood, and after a month of trying to convince me that it was best for me to give our bond another shot and me stubbornly saying no, they recurred to trying to arrange a mate for me, from other packs. Although I don't want one, I understand I need to have one in order to become Alpha. I just wish the council wouldn't be so old fashioned.

- You need a mate Cole. If you won't take Kara back, choose another. – My mother said probably for the millionth time. – You're almost twenty-five. You've been ready to become alpha since you were twenty.

- Then let me be Alpha. – I say. - I don't understand why I can't be alpha without a mate.

- You know you need a mate first. – She insisted.

- I won't mate with a random girl. – I said. I hadn't even liked a she-wolf other than Mikaela. And she was mated. Probably with a baby on the way.

- If you would only give them a chance and get to know them. – She always said that since she knew my mate did not give me one, and I didn't give her one either.

- I've agreed to meet the women you arrange for me to meet, what else do you want? - I ask. It was true. I had met around 3 women my mother thought qualified to be Lunas.

- To actually try and to get to know them. - She answered. - Just try.

- Why can't we just talk to the council and ask them to let me be Alpha. They already let it happen in Blood Moon Pack. - I say.

- Because the council will most likely give you a period to find one. – My father simply said. - That's the arrangement with Blood Moon. Alpha Ulrich has one year left to find his mate. But then again, he's a lot younger and has never found his mate. Maybe if we ask the council to consider your age and your rejection, they might let it go.

- They won't. You know that, Jonathan. - My mother said. - It's better to find him a mate now than with a clock ticking.

- Let's talk to the council. - I said.

My father linked his beta to start the arrangements.

I linked Jace. I was nervous.

"Meet me at the Half-moon bar." I said to him.

"Now?" He linked back.

"Yes now!" I said and ran off.

I arrived before he did, and asked for a table. I decided to order chicken wings and fries before he got here. We would order our drinks together.

He arrived before the food did and he asked the occasion for this.

- I got news – I said smiling awkwardly.

- Good or bad? - Jace asked.

- A little of both.

- Then I'll order whiskey – He said and turned to call a waitress.

- Whiskey? – I asked.

- It's for bad news, and since you're unsure if it'll be good or bad, I'll prepare for the worst.. – He said as if it was obvious.

I ordered the same. And made small talk before the drinks arrived at the same time as the food.

- So, spill. – Jace said, shoving fries in his mouth.

- Father is going to let me be Alpha. – I said.

He almost choked with his food.

- You're taking a mate? – He asked surprised.