Chapter Fourteen

Cole POV

My alarm wakes me. I sit in the bed and look around confused for a second, before I remember I'm at Liam's. I head to the shower thinking tomorrow at this hour I would already have spoken to Kara and know once and for all the reason behind her rejection. Tomorrow, hopefully I'll have peace.

After I shower, I look in the mirror. I shave again. I had a subtle beard growing already, so I decided to shave it.

I decide to wear black jeans and a green shirt, I put on my black timberland boots, and I'm suddenly nervous. I check my wrist watch. It's 6:45 a.m. I have to be in Liam's office before Seven.

I stand up trying to remember Jace's and Elena's pep talk. It's now or never.

I walk quietly to Liams office. It's on this floor. I don't see many pack members awake. I can't run into Kara before we are at Liam's office. I know she would run away and avoid me and I was not up for a chase.

I knock the door out of civil protocol, because I enter without waiting to see if anyone responds.

Liam is sitting at his desk.

- You're here. – He says getting up. – Good. Kara is on her way. I'll leave you alone, and stand guard on the windows and door with a few guards, just in case you make her run away. – He winks at me.

- So you know she'll try. – I say.

- I realized she's done it before. – He says. – I know she was here on at least 3 of your visits.

- I didn't know that until now. I'll leave before she runs into me. – He says and leaves.

I decide to stand near the door, so I can close it as soon as she enters. I feel like I'm truly ambushing her. I do a little boxer shuffle to calm myself down.

I look at my watch again. 7:03 a.m. She's late. Definitely not good if she were my Luna.

"Good thing she isn't." My wolf tells me.

My eyes are closed when there's a knock at the door. I tense up. Should I tell her to come in? Would she recognize my voice?

Before I decide, the door opens and she enters. I quickly move to close the door behind her and she turns to see me.

To say she looks surprised is an understatement. She looked as if I was a ghost or something.

I breathe in and catch a faint scent of berries. That's not how I remember her scent. It's much weaker now. Maybe because our bond doesn't exist anymore.

The only reason I liked her was because of the bond I tell myself. I had known her for a year before I felt the mate call. I always thought she was pretty, but we weren't friends. And we never talked, other than greetings on some occasions.

Her beautiful features don't mesmerize me anymore. She has her hair shorter than the last time I saw her, still straight, but at the length of the top of her shoulders. She's wearing a yellowy cardigan, with a white shirt underneath and a floral flowing skirt.

- Hello Kara. – I say. She just stares at me. I'm not lost in her eyes anymore.

She didn't grow much. Around two inches at most. Short for a beta wolf, but she definitely looks strong.

- How have you been? – I ask her.

Still not a word from her.

I see her eyes scan the room. She's trying to look for an escape.

- Don't even think about leaving. We are having this conversation, whether you like it or not. - I say firmly, using my Alpha voice.

- What do you want? – She finally says. Her voice is not as melodic as I remember. In fact, it's not melodic at all.