Chapter Twenty Six

Cole POV

"She's not dead." My wolf repeats in my head, trying to comfort us.

I'm at the hospital, waiting for any news, from the hospital, from Scarlett, from Jace, from anyone.

My mother was already here when I arrived with Mikaela, and she had a set of clothes ready for me, but they're itchy. I can't help scratching my arms and legs whenever I can.

- Cole stop, you're hurting yourself. – My mother nags.

We hear steps from the end of the hallway and turn to find my father, Jace, Thomas and Scarlett approaching.

- We're not expecting any more wounded. – My father says.

- Scarlett, what happened? – I ask.

- The mole was Marina, I believe Thomas warned Mikaela about her. – She starts.

I look at Thomas and he just looks down, trying to not interrupt Scarlett.

- She used a passage that led into the main house to lead the rogues inside. I was inside when that happened and glamoured myself. As you know I'm a witch and cannot participate in other beings' affairs, my only allowed tie is to Blue Moon Pack. – She tells us.

- But you're mated to a wolf from Crescent Moon, you could've helped. – Thomas states.

- That was a lie. Beckett was never my mate, I told you that so you would not ask questions about me helping Mikaela erase her mate's mark. – Scarlett says. She shows remorse in lying, but not in erasing the mark.

- I thought you broke the bond. – I say.

- No, I can't. It's forbidden and I can't go against the Moon Goddess. I only reversed Mikaela's body age, to before she was marked. This naturally reversed Asher's age as well, because of the bond. – She explains. - Then Mikaela rejected Asher. I used a spell to force Asher into accepting but, I'm sure it didn't work.

- Why would you help Mikaela and not her pack? – My father asks. – I thought you couldn't intervene in other's packs business.

- I saw possibilities for her future, and one of those possibilities, tied her specifically to Blue Moon Pack, so I decided to help her. – Scarlet says.

By now we knew better than to ask about her future seeing abilities. She never answered any questions, and only told us what she wanted and when she wanted. But I had a gut feeling she was talking about my second chance with her. I also noticed how she said one possibility. In only one possible future she was my second chance mate, was I not meant to have a second chance?

- That's why I could only watch the battle unfolding before me. I tried to find Mikaela, I heard from her pack members that her wolf was not with her, and that she was being escorted to the bunkers. I tried to look into her future to see where she would be, and I saw Asher stabbing her, then heard him call me. He was looking for me in the pack house. I was transported to the bedroom I was offered while I stayed there, and Asher was already waiting for me. – Scarlett tells us.

I try my best not to interrupt her.

- He asked me to help him not kill Mikaela. He said he knew his father would make him kill her when he defeated her in the Wolf Challenge. He had no faith in Mikaela winning the challenge. Lionel King thought that having Asher killing Mikaela was the perfect revenge. He told me he couldn't kill her; he would not offend the Moon Goddess more than Mikaela already did. I knew he was telling the truth, so I decided to help him not kill Mikaela. I enchanted a dagger he had so the moment of contact, it could glamour the living being that would be stabbed into a dead being. But in order for that to work, he would have to stab her. I showed him where he would do the least most convincing damage.