Chapter Twenty One

Mikaela POV

I never thought I would voluntarily tell someone about Asher. My pack only knew what they saw and heard. Scarlett knew because I had to tell her to get her help. But there was no obligation in me telling Cole.

I just wanted to be honest with him. I wanted him to know. Now he does. I wanted him to like me despite of it. And he does.

I'm relieved. As we hold each other, I can hear his heartbeat beating rhythmically. He brings me peace, and I hope he feels at peace too. He just said he wanted me to be his chosen mate. After everything I told him.

I never want to let him go. And I can tell he doesn't want that either. We don't need words, we are both content just being with each other. His grasp is still firm around me. Mine is not as firm, it's hard due to the thickness of our winter coats, and he has a very muscular torso, so it makes it harder.

He pulls away from me first and I feel disappointed by that. But then I see him open his coat and he signals me to hug him again. He just made it easier. I happily oblige and I feel his muscular back on my hands.

He kisses the top of my head and I snuggle in the crook of his neck.

- We should head back to the pack house. - Cole tells me.

- You're right. - I say. But I don't agree. I want this moment to last longer.

I can sense he smiles when I don't let him go.

- As much as I want to stay longer, we shouldn't. – Cole whispers.

- I Know you're right. But it's been so long since I've felt a little peace. – I admit out loud.

His hold on me tightens before he pulls me away and walks to the door on the floor. He jumps out and I jump behind him.

When we're about to reach the pack house, he holds my hand tightly and leans into me. I feel his lips on my ear. He's struggling to say something.

- You should go inside first. - He finally says.

I don't like hiding the fact that I like him. Didn't we just agree we'd give each other a chance to be chosen mates? But I trust his judgment. Besides, I only just announced that my bond to Asher is broken. And it's not completely broken. I need Asher to accept the rejection or execute him.

I wonder if the bond is weak enough. I look at my phone to see the hour and decide to kiss Cole fiercely. I pull him towards me and wrap my arms around his neck.

He's a bit taken back but corresponds my kiss with as much passion, his hands on my waist and back.

I feel shivers run through my entire body and I want to be closer to Cole, but I feel as if something isn't letting me. I dig my fingers in his hair and pull him closer to me. Trying to close any gap of space between us.

But it still isn't enough. I place my hands on his back and pull him towards me as I catch my breath.

I feel a slight ache in my chest, like when something is off. It's like a need to feel some sort of pressure on it to feel better and Cole's body would do just that, so I pull him harder to me.

- Mikaela – He whispers almost out of breath and pushes me away.

I look into his green eyes and see an unknown pain inside them. I had not seen it before. The ache in my chest got bigger and I felt the urge to hug him, take his pain away. But he held me firmly at his arm's length.

- I'm sorry. – I tell him. I was sorry for the pain I did not see sooner. What was he going through? I was focused on my own pain and did not see his.