Chapter Twenty Three

Mikaela POV

The next day came too quickly, as soon as we finished breakfast, we were running in seven squads of ten wolves each. The rest of the warriors stayed in the inner perimeter of the territory. Just to be safe. I let Chris in charge of those warriors. Even if he just became part of our pack. His circumstances and the blood oath he took, made me trust him. But mostly his blood oath. Pack members that were born in the pack did not take blood oaths to demonstrate loyalty, because it was implied by birth.

As we were running in human form, I got a link from Blue Moon and Blood Moon packs.

"In position" Linked Alpha Jonathan.

"In position" linked Alpha Ulrich.

"In position" I linked back.

Then I linked my own pack.

"Something is off, teams one, three and five, shift and follow me." I link them.

"Two, four and six with me." Tony links.

"Seven, keep in human form and stay close to the human border." I link them.

The second I try to shift, something goes wrong. I can't. My wolf won't come out.

"Alpha?" I hear one of the warriors' faint link.

"Alph..." The voice in my head is growing fainter.

"A..." I can no longer hear my pack.

What is going on?

This cannot be happening right now. I look confused around my warriors and they seem just as confused as I am.

- Marcus, lead teams one, three and five! – I order out loud.

I see his wolf nod and they leave me behind.

- Alpha Mikaela, is everything all right? – A warrior named Oscar asks me.

- I'm going to need you to inform me of everything. I can't reach my wolf. – I inform the warriors.

- Then it's dangerous for you to be exposed here, without a wolf, you're too vulnerable. – Oscar says.

- We should escort you back to the pack house. It's safer there. – A warrior named Janet said.

I did not want to leave, but they were right; I was vulnerable. Without the link, I was also a liability.

- I'll head back with just the two of you. The rest, scan the human town. – I order them.

It bothers me that I'm going to have to stay in human form. My wolf just can't be reached, which means I also lost contact with blue and blood moon packs.

Nothing was going according to plan.

As we jogged towards our territory, Oscar informed me that the rouges dispersed, their scent went in at least five directions. Our seven groups of ten turned into five groups of fourteen. I wish I could link the other alphas of our situation and our locations.

The rogues were trying to disperse us, I felt the other warriors running far from us. I had to believe Blue and Blood Moon packs would get there on time. Or it would be a terrible situation for all of us.

As soon as we closed in on the pack territory, I noticed the scent of rogues coming from the far east side.

- Link Chris, ask him the situation. – I order Oscar. Since we found out we had a traitor in the pack, we rarely used the pack link. I'm Sure Chris wouldn't either.

I'm impatient as I see him exchange thoughts.

- Chris didn't answer. Some of the warriors did, they were attacked less than five minutes ago, someone let them in, the patrollers are passed out. The non-warriors are in the bunkers confused...They said they linked Anthony already, since they could not reach you... and some warriors should be on the way.