Chapter 3 - Fight me

"Fight me instead." August said. Tillie smiled widely at her friend; "Gladly."

Tillie tossed the bat aside and took her place in front of August. "Why don't you try with magic?" He said. "Not going to happen." She responded. "Fine, but I am not holding back." He answered with a grin. Tillie took a few steps back when she saw him whisper something. In an instant a fireball appeared in his hands, she watched as he charged the ball with more and more magic as it continued to grow. 

Tillie stood still and looked around. In this open space she had no chance of beating him. The only way she could win this fight was if she was able to surprise him. Tillie ran back between the pile of bricks, right in that moment August launched his fire ball and at a dazzling speed it came after her. Tillie slid over the ground to dodge the ball and it missed her by an inch. She listened intently when she heard August walking over towards her hiding place. She looked around, the entrance to an old part of the mill was nearby. Before he could attack again Tillie aimed a few rocks at his head in a dazzling speed, while she made her way over to the entrance.

"So you are going to hide like a coward?" August said with a loud grin as he entered the mill, Tillie was already climbing up an iron pillar. She concentrated on making no sound at all. "You know I simple could cast a reveal spell." August yelled trough the building. Tillie smiled, she wouldn't answer that, she watched his every move closely. She braced herself when she saw him make a circular motion with his arms. She knew that he was casting the spell. She closed her eyes and controlled her breathing. She focused on her body and mind, a way controlled and trained warriors could resist magic. Not many people had succeeded in doing so, but Tillie had practiced a lot. She felt how the magic rippled through her body, but she didn't move. In her mind she simple was counting to control herself.

She heard how August casted the spell again, louder this time. She had succeeded and she smiled proudly at herself. Now all she had to do was create a little distraction. She climbed higher and higher, until she almost reached the top. She looked down and saw him still trying to summon the spell. She crossed the room, crawling over a horizontal support beam, when she reached the other side she carefully threw a rock across the room, resulting in noise on the other side of the building. Without thinking August walked over and Tillie smiled. She came back down carefully without making a sound. She drew her sword and pressed her body against a container, out of sight. She whistled slowly, knowing the only way out for August was past that container. Tillie closed her eyes and concentrated on his footsteps. She knew that when August thought he was going to win he became reckless. His footsteps came very close and Tillie calmed her breathing. She held the sword to her chest and concentrated. Just as he came around the corner, she grabbed him and held her sword against his neck. She smiled and whispered: "You are way too cocky."

In an instant an icy wind swept through the building. Tillie felt how it tugged at her clothes, she steadied herself and gripped August tighter. She pushed her blade harder against his neck. "Stop" She ordered. "It's not me." August said in a voice full of fear. Tillie smiled; "Foreman don't be lame and show yourself." Laughter filled the room as the commander entered. "Drop that poor boy and fight a man. He is about to die." He replied. Tillie did as he asked and braced herself, she knew that this would be much harder that fighting August. 

She closed her eyes for a moment and concentrated. "Scared, Breaker?" he asked. "No" A smile played on her lips. "Just imagining how I'll kick your ass." She replied. Foreman took a step toward her. The speed of the wind began to rise, she felt the wind pull her towards Foreman. She concentrated on counting again and anchored her feet. She opened her eyes and looked at the man in front of her. "Are you using magic?" Foreman asked shocked. "No" Tillie replied confidently. "Thig nas fhaisge" he commanded as he began to pull on an imaginary thread. She felt the thread wrap around her waist and pull her toward him. She concentrated again, tucked her sword into the ground and closed her eyes. 'One, two, three, four, ...' she counted until she felt how the pull weakened. Tillie opened her eyes and looked at the two shocked men in front of her.

The magic crackled in her fingers, but she knew she couldn't use it. She gently swiped her sword between her two fingers, activating the ability to withstand magical blasts. She looked at Foreman, he began to form a power blast, much more powerful as the one from August. At a dazzling speed the blast was headed her way, it whistled through the air like the bomb it was designed for. Tillie raised her sword and steadied it in front of her. The blast sliced open right in the middle and dissolved around her. She took a step forward in Foreman's direction. But before she could do anything else a second blast came towards her. 

The blast followed in quick succession, they exhausted Tillie. She knew that he could keep up this game much longer than she could. Tillie felt the crackle in her fingertips turn into a stinging sensations, she knew that she couldn't hold back much longer. She realized that was exactly what August and Foreman's intention had been. Provoke her so hard until Tillie would react with magic. She calmed her breathing, she knew that she had to act quickly before she would end up hurting one of them.

Tillie saw how smoke begin to form around Foreman, he was creating a fire blast. She knew immediately that it would send her over the edge. So she did the only thing she thought possible. The blast flew through the air and to Tillie it all seemed to happen in slow motion. She threw her sword aside, it made a huge rattling noise as it hit the floor. She closed her eyes again and braced herself for the incoming hit. Foreman realized to late what she was doing and the blast hit her full force. Tillie felt her body twist in pain and she fell on the floor. Instantly the men ran towards her.

At that moment Alden walked into the building, he went mad when he saw Tillie lying on the floor. "What happened?." He asked. He began to heal her with a spell. He was beyond angry. "How could you Foreman? I knew he was foolish enough to do something this stupid. But you? I expected more from you." "We only tried" August said but before he could finish Alden snapped at him. "What have you tried? To kill her?" Tillie coughed a few times. "Calm down guys I am fine. Save your strength Alden, I will heal." Tillie looked at her burnt left arm. Foreman helped her to her feet and looked at her. "Nice training, Commander." Tillie said and walked out. "Tillie stop." He said. "We need to talk about what happened." "No, we don't, I just need some rest." 

Tillie walked to her room and dropped onto her bed. She carefully took off her shirt and pulled the fabric from the wound. Luckily she was strong and the wound would heal very quickly. She gently added an ointment to speed up the healing process. Tillie closed her eyes and rested her head on her pillow. 

There was a soft knock on her door. "Come in" she said. Foreman walked in. Tillie recognized him by the way his boots clicked on the floor. "Foreman, what are you doing here?" "We have to talk." He answered. She opened her eyes and looked at the commander in front of her. "May I sit down?" he asked. Tillie studied the man as he sat down next to her bed. "I am sorry." He said. "You have nothing to be sorry about, if it were a fight, the opponent wouldn't hold back either." She responded. "Why didn't you fight back? You are so damn powerful. What you were doing there, I have never seen anyone who could." Foreman said. 

Tillie sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I can't control it. If I had used my magic you two idiots would have been dead." A tear rolled down her cheek. "You have no idea how hard it is to control it, to hold it back." She whispered. "Every time I look at August it just reminds me that I have no control over it." Foreman wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. 

"There is one person who knows what it's like." He softly said. "Who are you talking about?" she asked. "Your father, Tillie. He used to be my best friend. It was also difficult for him before he met your mother." He put a diary in her hands. "You have to read it. It will help you." Foreman said. "The day you were born was magical, you know?" He gently brushed a lock of hair from her face. "It was just before it all started. You have always been our little ray of hope. The sign that everything will be all right in the end." 

Foreman was silent for a moment. "Your father said something funny to me that day." Tillie looked intrigued at him. "After he asked me to be your godfather, he took me aside. He wanted me to help and challenge you no matter what. But the funniest thing he asked was that one day when you would become king, I would be ready to support you. He had no doubt that you would be king, he doubted my ability to support you. They have always believed and knew what you are destined for. I am here for you, no matter what." He said. Tillie looked at him. "How can I become your leader, if I can't even control myself?" Foreman smiled. "You will find an answer when time is right." He softly pressed a kiss on top of her head and walked out of the room.