Chapter 23 - The attack

Four hours had passed since the first and second squad left. Tillie and Makin had arranged an assembly in the central square again. They had agreed on a strategy. Tillie sensed how nervous Makin was. She felt deadly calm as she watched how the soldiers gathered in the central square. They all were dressed perfectly in their combat gear. Tillie and Makin had located the weakest spots in the wall around the camp and assigned a couple of soldiers for inspection.

"We are here to listen to the results of all the observations." Tillie said as she watched how several soldiers stepped forward. She listened carefully to the reports as she studied the soldiers of Makin's squad. She knew she could trust all her soldiers. But she wasn't sure if Makin could say the same. If Boris still had some eyes inside the camp, they would be in trouble. It was Ace's turn to speak and Tillie looked at him. Ace swallowed nervously. "The wall on the left side is weak, right behind the well is an opportunity for them to attack." Tillie cursed, it was the place she and Althea had used to get in and out of the camp. Tillie just hoped that Boris' men weren't watching when they had done so. "There was movement on the edge of the nearby woods. I have placed a group of our soldiers there to guard the place." Tillie nodded her head. "A status report from the snipers and patrols." Makin ordered. They continued to listen to the rest of the squad.

When all reports had passed, there was silence and everyone looked expectantly at Tillie. She knew they were looking for someone to lead them, through what was undeniably coming closer. "In the incoming attack, because I think we can all feel that one is coming, you are going to have to rely on each other. We don't know what the enemy wants, but it is likely to assume that he wants to take charge of this camp, meaning that Makin and I will be his first targets. You have to function and to survive without us. I want four soldiers from each squad to discuss tactics with us. I want to see patrols, running rounds at different intervals, fortifying the wall where possible, setting up traps and general preparation. Makin and I need to be briefed each hour about everything out of the order." The soldiers nodded. Immediately four guys stepped forward from Tillie's squad. The squad had become very close and functioned and thought as one. Ace, Louis, Carlos and Alex stepped forward. Tillie smiled. The other squad started to discuss who was best fit. They eventually settled for the top four soldiers. As Tillie looked over the others a chill rolled over her body, she could feel that there was a traitor amongst them. She needed to act, fast.

Makin escorted the 8 men to Timber's office as Tillie called Robert and Henry over. She noticed how a couple of curious eyes looked their way so she started pointing at the gate. "Work with me, until all eyes are gone." She said and so the men looked back at the gate. "Robert, the attack coming at us is personal on Timber. You have one task." "Hide and protect her." Robert answered. "Yes, you can't let Althea out of your side, no one can know where she is." Robert nodded his head. "It means a lot that you trust me whit such a task after everything that has happened." "Don't disappoint me" Tillie answered with a smile. He nodded. "Henry, there is a traitor on Makin's squad. I want you to find out who it is." They both looked at her in shock. "How do you know?" Henry asked. "There were a couple of them who behaved suspiciously." Henry nodded. "If the two of you find yourself in trouble, only trust our squad" she said as she hugged the both of them. "You seem scared Breaker." Robert noticed. Tillie was, if Boris was aiming for Timber, Althea was a good start. If he went straight for Timber, Tillie feared for the lives of many men, knowing what Althea was. "Scared is the wrong word, I just have a really bad feeling about this." The men nodded as they walked away.

Tillie walked in the container they had transformed into the strategic room. Ace eyes landed on her as she walked in. He looked concerned in her direction. "Are you okay?" he asked as she stood next to him. "Yeah" she answered. The team was looking at a map that lay out in front of them. "What are we looking at?" she asked. "Possible places they will attack." Makin filled her in. Tillie nodded. She listened as the rest of team went over possible attacks and their outcome. They had talked for hours and agreed upon a strategy, but Tillie still felt uneasy. "I am going for a walk over the walls to clear my head. Take a break, I will see you guys after diner." She stated calmly.

"How would you do it?" A voice interrupted Tillie's train of thought. She looked to her side as Ace was standing next to her, he handed her a bowl food. "I am not hungry." Tillie replied. "You still have to eat, you have no idea when the next time will be." Tillie looked at the woods in front of them. She knew they were close, she could feel it. "Are we prepared enough?" Tillie asked. "I don't know. We are, I doubt Makin is." Tillie nodded her head. "I don't know yet. The wall behind the well is a good possibility. But it's where we expect it the most. So making it less appealable. Maybe just enough for a distraction move." Ace nodded. "I think if I really wanted to crush Timber, I would use the main gate." He said. And then it clicked in Tillie's head. "They are, with help from within." Tillie looked at Ace. They ran over the walls towards the gate, staying low and out of sight. As they looked over at the gate Tillie's nervous feeling was confirmed. "Wild estimate?" she asked Ace. "150 maybe." "At least 30 on us." She sighed. "If we were alone, we wouldn't have a problem. But Makin has a traitor on his side." Tillie's eyes wandered over the soldiers and then an idea popped up in her mind. "Boris, describe him quickly." "Temperamental, arrogant asshole." Ace answered. "Ego as big as Timber's?" Ace nodded his head. "So if we make this easy" "He will just gloat and think nothing of it." Ace quickly caught up with her plan. "Gather twenty of our men, we just have to take him out." Tillie smiled. "You have to stay out of sight for as long as possible." Ace looked at her with concern. "I know." Tillie smiled.

Tillie was hiding on top of the containers when she saw how someone sneaked up to the gate. She heard a little rumbling as she watched Ace and a group of her squad made way over towards her. Ace took place next to her. Tillie looked back at the gate at what was playing out in front of her. The signal of the attack could be heard throughout the whole camp, but a little too late as they saw how the gate was opened. The soldiers marched straight in and bumped into a confused Makin. A brief fight followed, but as they could see, as quickly as it had begun, it came to an end. Boris's soldiers disarmed the men quickly and killed as little as possible. It was clear that Boris just wanted to take what belonged to Timber. Tillie saw how a man all dressed in black looked around with satisfaction. His black hair was combed back, black short beard and dark eyes, he was divinely built, almost as good as Timber. You could easily tell that they were almost as strong. "Boris." Ace whispered. And then something unexpected happened a beautiful woman with long copper hair walked in. She stopped right next to Boris and looked over the soldiers. "Where is she?" Boris's voice boomed over the soldiers.