Chapter 7 - The resistance

After the attack the council had stopped the parade. Timber Ayton, the commander of the black elite had ordered his troops to move back to the camp. They had been able to capture the man who had tried to attack his little sister. Timber paced through the camp, not knowing what to do, what to think. Why would someone with no ties or affiliations to him or his sister save them? Why would anyone sacrifice their own life for her? Was this all part of a bigger conspiracy? Had the plan of the attackers horribly backfired? Timber had to know. He was waiting for the report of his first in command Valen bolt. Then he would question the shooter himself. And then there was that girl, her beautiful eyes kept flashing through Timber's mind. Was she part of this? As soon as she woke up, he was would question her. He just hoped that in the meantime Althea wouldn't do anything stupid.

Valen walked in; "The shooter is ready for questioning. We have worn him out." He said with a smile. Timber followed Valen trough the compound to a more remote part of the camp. when the doors of the container opened Timber saw the man tied to a chair. He was bleeding profusely, but still had an arrogant smile on his face. Timber walked to the table in the left side of the container. He carefully took off his gloves and cracked his knuckles as a mischievous grin spread across his face. He was going to enjoy this, the man in front of him tried to kill his sister.

SMACK. Timber's fist collided with the man's face. "Who gave the order for the hit?" Timber shouted. SMACK. "Answer me." He added. A wicked smile appeared on the man's face and Timber stopped and looked at him. "The resistance." He replied as blood streamed over his face. Timber grabbed a chair and sat right in front of the man. "And the woman was she part of the plan too?" He asked. The man just smiled up at Timber without answering. 

Timber gestured to one of the soldiers standing against the wall over. "Pick a tool." Timber said. The soldier picked a hammer and walked back to the man, the hammer shattered against the man's knee. He cried out in pain. "And the girl?" Timber asked again. "If I had known that the Breaker would be there, I would never have tried in the first place. She probably would have saved everyone, even you." The man began to laugh diabolically. 

SMACK. Timber hit him again. "What's so funny?" he asked, face stone cold. "This whole situation is pretty funny if you ask me. People know that the Breaker saved your sister. She is a hero among the people. If the people wouldn't see her again, I don't know what they'll do." He laughed and coughed some blood. "She is the total opposite of you. People love her, hate you. She has a good heart and would make a great leader, she represents hope for all of us." 

Now it was Timber's turn to laugh loudly. "Well too bad that you poisoned your hope." He said. The man looked at Timber. "Your sister would be death in a heartbeat but she is used to so much more. I hope she finishes my job." The man answered with a smile. Timber began to lose his patience when the man threatened his sister. "I want names of that so-called resistance of yours." The man just laughed at Timber. "Shouldn't you look at your poor sister?" the man asked with a mean smile. Timber lost it he hit the man a few times more against the head until he passed out.

As Timber left the container he closed his eyes for a second. Why did this affect him so much. It hadn't been the first attempt on his or his sister's life. "Boss are you okay?" Valen asked as he approached Timber. Timber looked at the man in front of him. "Valen he is yours. I want to know more about the resistance. If he doesn't tell you anything useful, you know what to do." Timber ordered. "Got it boss, what are you going to do?" Valen asked. "check-in on my sister and see how our hero is doing." Valen chuckled. "Anything you want to say?" He asked. "We have all seen that girl boss." He winked at Timber. "Don't push it Valen, there are a lot less pleasant tasks than the one you are doing right now." he threatened.

Timber walked straight across the camp to the nursing ward. When he entered, a medic immediately approached him. "What's her status?" Timber asked. "The bullet was removed, but the poison had already spread through her system. We have no idea what poison it is, so we can't give her an antidote. We can only hope that her body is strong enough." The medic said. Timber nodded his head. "Have we any idea who she is, is she in any system?" he asked. "No sir. I am sorry." "Anything particular on her body?" He asked. "No sir, a big tattoo, some scars but nothing out of the ordinary." The medic answered. "Is she awake?" "No not yet. We have put her in a secluded room, as she is the only girl around here." Timber nodded and walked further. As she entered Tillie's room he immediately spotted his sister by her side.

Timber looked sternly at her "What are you doing here?" he asked. "Looking after her." Althea responded without looking away from Tillie. "Althea we have staff for that." Timber said sternly. "I know, but she saved my life without hesitation. The least I can do is make it comfortable for her. And stay by her side, at least she'll wake up with a face she knows." Althea responded.

Timber studied the girl. She looked peaceful and beautiful. . His fingers ran over the mark to her hand. He glanced at her ring and then his fingers brushed back up towards her face. He gently rested his hand against her cheek. It almost looked like she was smiling. She just lay there utterly peaceful. Althea looked over at her brother, she had never seen him so interested. "She is beautiful." He answered.

For a moment the façade of the hard leader slipped, but before Althea could say something about it, it was back. "Did she say anything?" Timber asked. "No, it must have been one hell of a poison." She answered. "What do you think of her?" He said as he studied the girl on the bed. "She saved my life Timber, without knowing me." Timber sighed and ran a hand through his hair; "I know." He answered. "What are you going to do?" Althea asked him. "I don't know yet. The man said she was the Breaker. Ever heard of her?" Timber studied his sister's face to determine whether or not she would tell him the truth. "No, I haven't. But maybe someone in the village can tell you more about her." She answered. 

"When she wakes up, send someone for me. Understood?" Timber commanded. Althea nodded her head at her brother while her eyes were still on Tillie. "But we need to talk about this. I making you weak, I can't stay by your side." "Althea we are not having this discussion, I can only protect you if you are by my side. It's not up for discussion." Timber said sternly. He walked out of the room leaving Althea behind with Tillie's body. She stared at the girl in front of her for a few seconds, before she carefully brushed a strain of hair out of Tillie's face. "I wish I was as brave as you are, sacrificing yourself for someone you don't even know."

Timber looked over the camp grounds as he waited for his second in command Makin. "Keller, why did it take so long?" Timber said sternly. "Sorry after further questioning the people in town, I stopped by Valen to see if he found anything new." "And?" Timber asked. "No, I am sorry, nothing. That man will only say what he wants to say." Timber sighed and rubbed his hair. "He is trained to withstand interrogations." 

"Something is bothering you, talk to me." Makin said. "Why would anyone risk their life for Althea?" he asked. "Most people hate us, especially you, so I have no idea." Makin answered. Timber laughed loudly. "Face it Timber, after the last raids we aren't exactly loved by the people in the city. It even surprised me that we got this far." He looked over the compound lost in thoughts. 

"Makin, have you ever heard of the Breaker?" he asked. "If I am not mistaken there is a legend about the Breaker. If you ever needed to free someone or to save someone you would ask him for help. Because the Breaker doesn't ask for money, he just want to help people. He is a hero among the people." Timber nodded his head and thought for a couple of seconds. "The man claims that she is the Breaker." Makin laughed, but when he noticed Timber wasn't laughing, he stopped abruptly. "And you believe him?" "I can't think of any other reason why she would have saved Althea." Timber said.

Before Makin could answer Timber commanded him. "I want you to go to the city and learn everything there is to learn about the Breaker. I expect a full report tomorrow." "Ok boss, what are you going to say to the counsel?" Makin answered. "The truth. That there was an attempt on my sister's life and that we crossed it." "Nothing about the girl?" Makin asked curiously. "Not until we know what her intentions are." He answered. "What are you going to do with your sister?" Makin asked. "What do you mean?" Timber looked confused out over the camp. "Boss, with all due respect. But the men aren't happy with her staying here. You can't take her to the battle field. She is becoming a burden to the elite. She behaves like a spoiled little princess." "I'll think about it." Timber simply replied.