Chapter 12 - Negotiations

Tillie was back in the infirmary when she opened her eyes. She cursed, why was she so attracted to this asshole? She felt almost as stupid as a moth attracted to a flame, knowing it would only burn you. Why couldn't she keep her mouth shut? Why couldn't she contain herself when he was around? A loud sigh filled the room. Her shoulder and pride still hurt

Makin and Valen came in, Tillie thought that it was funny that they were polar opposites and yet they both had an important role in Timber's Elite. Where Valen was more reserved and a thinker, Makin clearly said what he was thinking. Valen was stricter, Makin was somehow almost childish. "Aah you are finally awake. It was almost a bit boring without you." He smirked at her. "Makin stop it." Valen said sternly, proving what she was thinking. Tillie studied the two for a moment.

"When will the devil appear?" Tillie finally asked. "He won't, he is licking his wounds somewhere." Makin replied with a smile. "Is he hurt?" Panic engulfed Tillies body, she cursed herself for this stupid response. Makin smile turned into a grin. "No sweetheart, he is just not ready to embrace his loss." He responded. Valen rolled his eyes. "So he is mopping like a little kid somewhere?" Tillie asked. "Exactly." Makin responded. "You only dare to say that when he isn't around." Valen said sternly. "Maybe." Makin smiled as he shrugged.

"Tillie, we want to apologize for what happened. Timber isn't easy, he has been betrayed a lot so he doesn't take any chances." Valen started, Tillie looked at him in shock for a moment. "That doesn't give him the right to hurt me the way he did." She responded. "No it doesn't." Valen apologized almost. "Why are you guys apologizing in his place? You didn't do anything wrong." She said. Makin and Valen shrugged. "Maybe then you might want to consider our offer. We are here to tell you some other news. You get your own squad." Makin said. "What?" Tillie asked her voice filled with disbelief.

"There were a lot of problems after your fights, especially when the soldiers found out that you had been dragged to the torture chamber. Timber had to agree to appease the soldiers." Makin told her with a smile. "So he didn't think I was worthy, he just did it to keep his soldiers happy." Tillie looked to the side in disappointment. "I am not so sure about that, you spiked something in him." Valen studied the girl in front of him, eyeing her for a reaction. "Yeah his inner monster apparently. I have no interest in becoming a soldier in your elite. I am not a killing machine that follows orders blindly." She said sarcastically. "Things are never easy around here, but always fun." Makin tried to convince her. "Why not, what else would you do?" Valen asked. "Keep living my life in peace, help the people who need help." Tillie replied.

"You look conflicted." Valen hadn't taken his eyes off Tillie and studied her every move. "I am conflicted, you all seem to follow orders blindly. You all are forced into this structure of power and strength, not all the answers are there. And you have other believes I detest even more." "Makin, get him." Valen ordered. "What? Why me? Can't you do it?" Makin stammered. "No" Valen replied stern as Makin disappeared with a grumbling face. "To change something you sometimes have to be part of it." He said out of the blue. "Not if it goes against everything you believe in." Tillie replied. "And just to prove him wrong?" Valen challenged.

Timber stormed in with Makin right behind him. "What's the matter, can't you two do anything alone?" He yelled. "She doesn't want it." Valen said as calm and composed as always. "What?" Timber looked angry. "Her squad." Valen answered his question. Hatred filled Tillies eyes as Timber stood in front of her. "Why not?" He sneered. "I don't like the way you do things. I do not follow orders blindly and above all I do not share your believes. Why the hell would you let a complete stranger be part of your army anyway?" she asked. Timber studied the girl in front of him for a moment. "I won't. But the council is convinced that with the Breaker among our men, we will regain the favor of the people." He replied eventually.

Tillie laughed loudly. "Exactly my point." She said. "So what will it to take to convince you?" "Did you not just listen to a word I said?" Timber looked her death in the eye. "I did, I don't care. Do you think you can say no to the council?" "I'll be happy to." She replied. "No you won't. You clearly think I am a monster, well then let me tell you they are the rulers of hell." Timber said. "I don't fear hell." "You should, definitely around here."

"So as much as I don't like it one bit, you are getting your own squad. If you decide to leave, I will be ordered to start a hunt on you." Timber continued. "What?" Tillie asked confused. "The choice is yours, would you rather stay here and become one of us, or would you rather see me end that fight. So you don't really leave me a choice." Timber laughed loudly. "Fuck you Timber" Tillie cursed.  "Don't put a target on your back Tillie, there are more than enough men here, who would love to fuck you. You only get one chance and one chance only. "

Tillie was lost in thoughts for a moment, the asshole in front of her confused her an awful lot. Her visions were the only reason she ever agreed. She could certainly outrun a hunt, but she had to save the girl. And then there was that other thing, that feeling that was settling in her stomach every time she saw that same asshole. "Fine, but I am doing it my way." She finally agreed. "We'll be watching you every step off the way." Timber answered. "Why would you do that if I just can brief you at night?" "What are you talking about?" Valen asked. "How can you lead the squads in the same direction if you guys don't evaluate their progress every night?" Tillie looked between the three of them. The boys looked at each other in embarrassment. Tillie rolled her eyes at them. "Guess you all have a new evening activity." She answered with a smile.