Chapter 8 - Breaker

When Tillie had finally opened her eyes, she had no idea where she was. She looked around searching for something she could use as a weapon in case she needed to. Suddenly she saw the girl she tried to save, sleeping with her head on the foot of the bed. She was still alive and a smile appeared on her face. All this had not been in vain after all. 

Tillie looked around for something to give her an idea of where she was. As she tried to move she felt her shoulder hurt badly. It all came back to her, step by step. The parade, the bullet, the poison. She tried to move but her shoulder made it impossible. If she still had her powers, it would be healed in no time. She considered herself lucky, because if she hadn't been so strong the poison would have killed her. She studied the girl, she seemed vast asleep. It really was the girl from her vision. Tillie tried to wrap her head around everything. How were they connected? Why did she have to save her and from what? What was coming for her and could she ever be able to stop it?

Tillie felt how a tear rolled down her cheek, she closed her eyes. Maybe it would have been better if the bullet had killed her. At least that way her village would have been save. The whole time she had been out, Tillie had dreamed again and again that it would burn to ashes. Her search for everyone and everyone turned out to be dead. Her train of thoughts was interrupted by a sweet voice. "Hey, don't worry. It's okay, you are safe here." The girl suddenly said. Tillie opened her eyes and looked straight at the girl's face. 

Panic took over because she didn't know what to do. "Who are you? Where am I?" she asked. Her voice came out low and hoarse as if she had just eaten half of the dessert. The girl quickly understood and handed her a bottle water. "I am Althea, the girl you saved." Tillie took a sip and tried to organize her thoughts. She closed her eyes and tried to move, she wanted to sit up, she wanted to get out here, go home. But in the process she hurt her shoulder and a groan escaped her lips. "Are you okay?" Althea asked. Tillie opened her eyes and looked at the girl. "Of course not, stupid question. You have been shot and poisoned." She quickly said. Tillie smiled at the girl. "How long have I been out?" she asked. "Two days since the incident." Tillie cursed in her head, August and everyone else would be really worried if they found out what had happened. She looked around the room and felt very uncomfortable, her head and shoulder started throbbing in pain.

"Can you help me sit up?" Tillie asked. Althea looked scared at her; it was then that Tillie noticed that she didn't look like a warrior at all. "I am going to get my brother; I am not strong enough." Tillie frowned, how was it possible that a soldier in such a camp wasn't able to lift a girl like herself. But before she could say anything, Althea had walked out.

It took a while before someone came back; Tillie had closed her eyes again to rest. And suddenly a vision appeared in her mind. She saw Althea sneaking out of the camp and move into the fields. But she was caught and tortured by some prison guards. Tillie cursed, not all of her magic had been suppressed by the spell if visions kept appearing. She felt tired and alone at this moment. She just wanted a break from everything. She heard voices approaching her again. 

"I am telling you she is awake." Althea said. "Have you talked to her?" someone answered. "No, I just told her my name." "Why did you do that? You have to be careful." The man answered. "She saved my life; she can at least know my name." Althea said sternly. "Fine." The man answered. Tillie recognized the voice from the parade and she carefully opened her eyes. She saw Althea standing in front of her with the man she had admired during the parade. His blue eyes searched her face. His presence boomed over her. "Who are you?" His voice held power and authority. "Tillie" She softly answered, she needed to be careful every lie could eventually trap her. Before he could answer Althea interrupted him. "Can you question her another time? She just woke up. Help her to sit up." The girl she had saved, commanded.

Tillie looked at the leader, as he walked towards her. She had no idea whether she could trust him or not. Althea must have felt it, as she was trying to alleviate the situation. "This is Timber my brother." Althea introduced him. "Althea, that's enough. Leave" He commanded in a stern voice. Althea did as she was told and left the room. Timber walked over and carefully pulled Tillie up until she sat a little more. He took place on her bed and watched her. Tillie was silent and did the same.

"Breaker." Timber whispered to her out of the blue. He studied her every move, her every reaction. He had no idea who the girl in front of him was and what she wanted. "Some people prefer to call me that." Tillie said, looking away avoiding his stern look. "Why did you save my sister?" He asked, his eyes holding curiosity. Instead of answering Tillie decided to ask a question in return. "Would you rather I didn't?"

He looked baffled at her and was a little shocked by her immediate reaction. "Do you have any idea who I am?" Timber wasn't used to someone not following his orders. "Timber, you're the brother of Althea." Tillie answered in a duh tone. "The commander of the black elite." Timber completed her answer.

Tillie studied the man in front of her for a few seconds. "That's the highest and deadliest squad in the army." She responded. She knew perfectly who he was, but she felt triggered by how arrogantly he asked his questions. "So, you do know who I am." He answered. "Now that we have established that, let me ask you again. Why did you save my sister?" Tillie looked at her fingers, slightly moving them to examine the impact of the gunshot wound. "I saw the commotion and I had a bad feeling." She answered. "And so, you jumped?" Timber asked without believing a word she just had said. Tillie just nodded her head. "Why in front of my sister?" He asked. "You know that answer yourself. If someone wants to hurt you, then is that by hurting her. It's the question on everyone's mind, what are you going to do when that happens, I guess." Timber smiled vicious at her.

"Now it's my turn. Why am I here? Why are you keeping me here?" Tillie asked confidently. "Where else would you go? After that hit everybody left. The space was emptied in seconds and no one came to your aid but us." "You could have left me." Tillie responded as she looked at him. "I could. I looked right into your eyes before everything happened. Those green mesmerizing eyes have stayed with me ever since. I want to know the girl that saves someone else without even thinking and especially her reasons behind it." Tillie looked away avoiding the look in his eyes.

"Why do people call you the Breaker?" Timber continued his inquisition. "I don't know. I didn't choose the name. It started after I rescued a child. He was trapped under the ruble of an ancient ruin." Tillie answered. "What was so special about it?" Tillie was silent and looked at her hands. "Tillie what was special about it?" The way he pronounced her name, made her core stir. She blushed a bit.

"I ran through a blazing fire and single-handedly removed all the rocks he was laying under. I have rescued people from impossible situations and brought them back home." She answered, still not quite agreeing with the nickname people gave her. "You are a hero among the people." Timber stated. "I wouldn't say that. I disagree with the nickname. But some say it gives the people hope." A coy smile played over her lips. "I wonder, if the hit was meant for me, what would you have done?" Timber looked at her intently. Without hesitation Tillie answered him. "The same."

"Why? You must have heard what people say about me." Timber asked while he was passing through the room. "I tend not to listen to people. And besides despite what we have done we all deserve to defend ourselves. There is no honor in shooting someone like that. Only a coward would avoid confrontation." Tillie felt how the conversation tired her out, her eyes grew heavy and she struggled to stay awake. "Get some rest, we will talk later. For now you stay here until I tell you otherwise." Was the last thing she heard of Timber before falling back asleep.