Chapter 22 - Nervous feelings

For the past weeks Althea had been training with the fourth squad. At first the soldiers weren't too happy about her joining their ranks. But when Tillie explained that she deserved a chance, that Althea was willing to change, they turned around. They were training on disarming a hostage situation when the horn rang through the camp. Tillie looked worried at Ace, she had a nervous feeling in her stomach.

As the squads lined up in the central place Tillie took her place next to Valen and Makin. Timber appeared and all soldiers turned silent. "There is an uprising in the north. Our help is needed in defeating a group of soldiers who have abandoned their duty. They refuse to fulfil their duties and they have all deserted their posts. They are planning an attack on the council. First and second squad are assigned with the task, we will have to go into the jungle." Makin and Valen looked confused at their boss, they knew the fourth squad would be way better to assist him there, as they won the last game so easily. Tillie looked at Timber with concerned eyes. "You can start preparing now. We leave in two hours." The soldiers left and Tillie walked over towards Timber, Makin and Valen quickly joined her. "What are you doing boss?" Makin asked Timber. "What?" He replied. "Why don't you take the Breaker, she would be far better in assisting you?" Makin asked.

Timber was silent. "We'll discuss strategy in the office." "Boss, Makin is right." Timber didn't answer Valen, he simply turned around and walked away. Timber sat down at his desk and rolled out a map. "Boss, you still haven't given us an answer." Makin tried again. Tillie smashed her both hands on the map and forced Timber to look at her, he had been avoiding her eyes ever since the announcement. "The fourth squad isn't going, that's my decision and that's final." He replied stern. "Why?" Tillie asked. "We all know that my squad can be of a great advantage to you." Timber sighed. "I can't win this without losing men if I have to protect my sister." "Why do you think she needs protection?" Tillie asked as she studied his face. "I simply can't worry about her on the field." He sighed. "Or for you for that matter." He whispered towards Tillie. "So what's your plan the fourth squad will never engage in attacking?" she asked. "As long as I am in charge, no." "Tillie pressed her fingers on the bridge of her nose. "You are impossible." She sighed. "We are all perfectly capable of defending and protecting the people in our squad." She said stern. Timber slammed his fist on the table. "No you are not, you have no idea what you are talking about." He answered. "Then tell me." She stated calmly.

Valen stepped forward. "It's his former me, that's leading the attack." Valen said. "What do you mean?" Tillie asked confused. "I used to lead Makin's squad a while ago. Boris was the leader of my squad at that time. But after a huge argument between him and Timber the council offered him his own group of soldiers to train. Timber felt betrayed by him, Boris is not your average soldier. Don't make the mistake of underestimating him." Valen said. "Don't make the mistake of underestimating my squad." Tillie replied. "Breaker, this is not up for discussion." Timber said stern. "Why don't you just take us all with you?" She asked. "Because his ego is too big for that." Makin joked. Tillie shook her head in disappointment. "Do you need my help for anything or are you even too proud for that?" she asked without hiding her discontent. "Breaker" Timber tried to approach her without revealing their relationship to the others. Tillie sighed disappointed. "You can go." He said and Tillie walked out without even a glance in his direction.

Tillie stood at the entrance of the camp with her squad as they watched the departing soldiers. Tillie felt how Timber's eyes burned on her, but she avoided his eyes at all costs. Ace was standing next her. Makin and his squad where standing across from them. They saluted the departing soldiers. "This doesn't feel right. If the council had given him his own group of soldiers, then why is he attacking them?" Tillie asked Ace. He looked over the soldiers. "What was the fight between him and Timber about?" she asked him. "Did you ask Timber?" Ace responded with a question. "No, when he pulled the protection card, I was too angry to talk to him. He seems to have forgotten who was able to kick his ass." Ace snickered. "That sounds just like him." Tillie studied him. "You know what happened. Ace you have to tell me, I have a bad feeling about this." She finally said. The last soldiers walked out as the camp gates were closed.

Ace pulled her apart as the other soldiers went back to their work. "Besides me and Valen nobody knows what happened. I will tell you, but you can't tell anyone, promise." "Promise." Tillie quickly agreed. "It was a stupid mistake of Timber, he was drunk that particular night." Ace started. "Timber drunk?" Tillie asked not believing the control freak could let go of control. "Yeah, he had a big argument with the council and problems with Althea. He had just had it. That night the girlfriend of Boris was staying at the camp and she took advantage of Timber's drunken state. Under normal circumstances, Timber would not even look at her, since she belonged to Boris. The girl, Cassandra, clearly had high ambitions, she only slept with Timber because he was the leader of the black elite." Ace stated. "Hence all the comments he made about me." Ace nodded his head in agreement. "Boris found out and was furious. Timber couldn't remember a thing. Boris felt betrayed beyond words and they fought. They were ready to kill each other. So the council gave Boris an alternative, leaving Timber with a feeling of betray behind." Tillie was silent for a moment. "Boris isn't going for the council." She finally said. "Boris is coming for the camp." Ace looked at Tillie. "Or for you." He added. Tillie looked surprised at him: "Why me?" "There are a lot of rumors all going back to Timber and you." "That's bullshit." Tillie said. "Is it?" Ace smiled at her.

Tillie launched the signal and all soldiers assembled in the central square again. Makin strolled up to her. "Did I miss something?" he asked. Tillie looked at him with concern in her eyes. "Back me up." She just said. "With half of the elite gone, we need to prepare ourselves. If our enemies would watch us, they would strike now thinking we are vulnerable without our leader." Makin caught up with where she was going. "We are not." He added. "We're not taking any chances, so the tasks for today: double the patrol rounds, spotters on the roof corners, all soldiers in full fighting gear. Questions?" "Are we expecting something?" Robert asked. "I am not sure, but it's better to be prepared than to be ambushed." Tillie spoke. All soldiers nodded their head. "Dismissed." "What are you thinking?" Makin asked. "Boris is not going for the council." She simply stated and Makin's eyes widened. "Shit; he is coming for us." Tillie nodded her head. "Time to prove ourselves." She said with a smile.