Chapter 29 - Dungeon

Tillie had no idea how much time had passed since Valen and Makin had placed her in the cell. She hadn't seen anyone near her cell. Timber probably had forbidden anyone to visit her. And then suddenly she heard how footsteps approached her. As Tillie looked up, her eyes met Ace's. "What have you done?" he asked, his face was full of worry. "The thing I came here to do." Tillie replied. "Please enlighten me, because I am lost. There was one thing that never should have happened, and that is you sitting here in this cell." Ace answered. "I saved her." Tillie said softly. "You saved how?" Ace asked bewildered. "Althea"

Ace opened the cell and walked inside. He carried bandages and other medical supplies. He squatted next to her and carefully cleaned Tillie's wounds. "So, you risked everything for the sister of the man who did this to you?" He asked in a voice filled with disbelief. "It was the only way to make him change his mind." Tillie replied. "I hate to break it to you but I doubt that has happened. Since it still ended up with you being here." "It has, he hasn't killed me. Nor delivered me to the council." She said. "You are nuts. He hasn't delivered you yet." Ace looked at his friend.

"Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell." Tillie replied after a while. "Why didn't you call the guys? In those few weeks the soldiers would have followed you. We were all there standing ready for you." Ace looked at her. "Because Althea had to be safe first. I have to convince him to get her out of here. And this wasn't the battle to win. We need to prepare ourselves for something much bigger." "Why are you defending her?" Ace asked. "She needs guidance and someone to help her. I have been in that same situation." Tillie replied.

Ace was silent for a few minutes as he was thinking about what to say. "Why should that be you?" he eventually asked. "Because my visions are telling me." Tillie replied. "But how is that even possible? I thought Alden had stopped them." Tillie shook her head. "No and lately they are much worse and more intense than they used to be." She replied. "What do you need from me?" Ace asked. "At the moment nothing, you will know when I need you." Tillie replied. Ace bandaged her wounds and walked away.

Tillie felt another presence in the room. "You can come out now." She said. Althea emerged from behind a pillar and softly approached her. Tillie saw how her eyes were filled with tears. "I am so sorry; I have tried to talk to Timber and explained everything to him but he won't listen." She instantly cried. "I know. He is hurt give him some time." Tillie replied. "No, this is wrong I should be in there." "Althea if I hadn't done what I did you would be dead by now." Althea looked startled at Tillie. "So, the dreams are true." Althea said. Tillie's interest was spiked. "Tell me about them." "For the longest time I had dreams or nightmares about me dying a horrible death. Beaten to death by half of the soldiers here. But then you showed up and the dream changed. Tillie smiled at her.

"Anything else? Even a small detail can help." Tillie asked. "Lately there are colors at the end, you change." Tillie nodded her head, she knew exactly what it meant, but she wasn't going to tell Althea. She still had to stop her village from going up in flames. "What do you think is the meaning behind that?" Tillie asked. "I have no clue." Althea replied. "Althea, do you have somewhere where you can go, you are not safe her at all." "I am not leaving you. And besides I have the squad." Tillie looked with pleading eyes at the girl. "Althea you have to, I can't protect you." "I need you. You stopped it all, no one can do that for me." Althea said. "No, you need someone who can teach you how to control your powers." Tillie replied.

Loud footsteps echoed through the hall, Tillie knew immediately who was approaching them. "What are you doing here? Haven't you caused enough pain?" Timbers loud voice boomed through the cells and Althea looked scared. "Easy it is going to be okay." She softly whispered to Althea. "Timber please" Althea tried again. "Get out of my eyes" He spat. Althea walked away, crying again. Tillie looked at her hands.

Timber looked through the bars at her. "Admiring your handy work?" she asked. "Why didn't you hit back?" "Because I don't want to hurt you." Timber was silent for a few minutes. "You saved her life again." Timber finally said. "Guess I did. But she is not out of the woods yet. Me being here will only put a bigger target on her back. Timber she needs to disappear." Tillie tried to stand up, but her legs gave away under her. She crashed on the floor. Timber opened the cell and carefully picked her up. "Why did you have to challenge me?" he asked pain clearly audible in his voice. "No one would believe me if I went down without a fight. Without giving you a hard time."

Timber's large hand caressed her face. She closed her eyes and leaned in his touch. A tear rolled down her cheek. And he gently kissed it away. "Timber you can't do this, if someone saw you. They will already question your judgement." Tillie softly whispered while she lay there wrapped in his arms. "I don't care." He muttered. "You have to, because otherwise my sacrifice would have been in vain." He helped her sit on the bench in her cell. He pressed a kiss on her temple and walked out.

"You have to get her out of here, she is not safe." Tillie said. "You both need to make an escape." He answered. "You need me by your side to fight what's to come." Tillie replied. "What are you taking about?" Timber looked confused at her. "Althea needs to learn how to control her power, without it she will exploded." "What are you talking about?" Timber repeated himself again. "Don't play dumb with me. She is a ticking time bomb. The fire, that was nothing, if she was ever in danger or feared for your life ..." Tillie said. "How do you know all this?" And finally there was that question. The question that would change everything between them. The question that would change Tillie's whole life.

"Because I am like her."