Chapter 14 - First day

Tillie had been testing the skill set of her soldiers for six hours straight. They had started at 6 in the morning with running, sparring and strategy exercises. The men were exhausted and it was only day one. And then a sigh of relief ran through the squad as the start of lunch time was finally there.

Tillie was the last one to walk to the Military shelters that held the dining area. Tables were arranged per squad with one main table. Tillie was too starving to pay attention, so she just joined the waiting line. While Tillie was there waiting for food Makin came by and called her. "Breaker we are sitting over there. I would love to hear some of your stories." Tillie looked in the direction Makin was pointing. She saw he was pointing at the table separated from the others. Timber and Althea were already seated, Valen was about to join them. Tillie stood in line among her squad members for the food. She studied them for a few seconds as they walked back to another table. Tillie saw that they were all sitting at the same table. "That's really kind, Makin. But I think I will join my squad."

Makin looked shocked at her as she walked towards the guys. "Room for one more?" The guys looked at her in bewilderment, but they quickly made room for her. Tillie smiled as she took a seat, out of the corner of her eye she saw how Timber was walking to their table. "Trouble is coming our way." Louis said with a smile. Tillie looked up and stared straight into Timber's eyes. "Why aren't you joining us Breaker?" he asked. The guys all fell silent, Tillie felt how all eyes were on her. "Why should I?" She asked as she continued to eat her meal. "Because we all sit together." Timber responded sternly. Tillie studied him for a few seconds. "Exactly I am sitting with MY squad." She responded. Timber was not amused by her reaction. "Breaker it's a command." Tillie got up and looked Timber straight in the eye. "The reason I agreed to this was under the condition that I could do it my way. So, I am doing just that." She saw the guys at her table grinning. "Moreover they will be having my back on the battlefield. So, excuse me if I'd rather get to know them and how they think." Timber was fuming, Tillie knew that she was pushing it. But he didn't react. "My office after lunch." And then he turned around and walked back to his table. Tillie felt how his eyes burned into her back throughout the whole meal. The men told her all different stories, it wasn't even silent for a minute.

As the men stood up to leave the room Louis stopped Tillie. "It was really nice to have you sitting with us, I hope you do it again." He said. Tillie smiled as he walked away. She saw that Timber had already left. She made her way to the container that was holding his office. She knocked before entering. Timber's loud voice boomed through the steel. "Come on in." Tillie walked in, he was sitting at his desk and studying papers. She took a seat in the chair directly in front of him. "What was that during lunch? I can't have you disobeying my commands. I need to know that I can trust you." He started before she was completely seated. "So, your image of a good leader is one who follows your orders blindly? If I thought you were walking right into a field of mines, but you insisted then I just let you? That's your idea?" she retorted. Timber studied her quietly. "If that's the case, then I will resign. You can't be so pretentious that you think you have nothing left to learn." Tillie added.

"I saw how you applied that as well in your training. Please enlighten me how you would do that and at the same time keep the order intact?" Timber asked. Tillie was fuming at this point. "Is that all you care about the order? Is that what keeps you up at night?" she said while raising her voice. "Everything you see here is built based on order and rank, that's the way we do things around here." "Exactly the reason why they all fear you and hate your sister." Timber stared at her; it was a bold move saying the things she had said. But she had no intention of changing her interaction with the squad. "I want respect, loyalty and most off all I want them to function as a team. If you have a problem, be my guest. But then you can fuck off." Tillie spat.

Tillie was furious, she stood eye to eye with Timber and neither of them flinched. Timber had emerged from behind his desk and stepped forward as he faced her, but Tillie didn't move. He took another step toward her and pressed himself against her, jet she didn't move. His lips were inches away from hers and instinctively she licked her lips. "I have no idea what to do with you. You can't even follow a simple order. You have one chance to prove yourself and one chance only. No matter what the counsel says if you fail, you're out. You can leave now." He almost yelled in her face. But Tillie didn't move, she just stood in front of him. "What's your problem?" she asked deadly calm. "You are, you have been from the beginning." He retorted. "Why?" she asked.

Timber sighed and the tension in his office became even more suffocating. "I can't figure out your intentions, why would you risk everything to save a complete stranger? Someone like my sister, who is part of a group that contradicts your beliefs." He finally said. "You simply don't trust me." "That's right." Tillie felt how the tension between them filled his small office. She felt something stir and pull deep inside her core, she was doing everything she could to control herself. Not only was she furious at his reaction. But she wanted nothing more than to kiss him. The combination of those two emotions confused her beyond words.

"And then there is this" Timber gestured between the two of them. "Every time I am around you" He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. Tillie studied his hard face and all the muscles in his arms. And suddenly she realized something, he could feel the tension too. Before Tillie's brain could protest she crashed her lips against Timbers. She didn't know how he would react until she felt how his strong arm wrapped around her waist and the other cleared out his desk. In an instant she was on top of it as their kiss turned into full-on firework. She felt Timber's hands burn over her body, they were everywhere. His hand sneaked under her sports bra as a soft moan escaped her throat. He deepened the kiss as Tillie pressed herself closer to him. She felt how aroused he was and it suited hers perfectly.

And then he broke the kiss, looking straight into Tillie's eyes. "This is a mistake" he coldly said without showing any emotion. Her eyes widened in surprise as he pulled back "You aren't serious, are you?" Tillie asked confused. This wasn't how things where supposed to go. She tried to grab his hand to pull him back. "Is this how you work? Use your body to gain the trust of men." Timber said. Hs words hit her harder than anything he could have said or done. She looked at him as she felt tears in the corners of her eyes. "The gods must really mock me." Tillie replied. Timber looked confused at her as he distanced himself from her. "I am one of those people who believe in true soulmates. How they mock." Tillie jumped off the table and stormed out of his office closing the door with a loud bang.