Chapter 5 - The girl

August sat on a pile of rocks as he watched Tillie train some little children. With her magic disabled she had finally agreed to teach some fighting skills. It would only be a matter of time before she would leave searching for that girl. It was a real shame, because she was one of the best fighters they had. August feared the moment she would leave, but he knew it was inevitable. 

"Hold your sword up." Tillie demonstrated her class. All the students did eagerly what she said. "Let it move gracefully through the air. Study your opponent, you must discover his patterns and his flaws." The children did as she said as they danced around each other. "Breaker, breaker." A child called her name. "Yes." She replied. "Can you tell us a story, something where you saved someone?" the child asked. Tillie smiled. "What do you think will save you on the battlefield, knowing how I saved someone or having enough practice?" she asked the child. August chuckled at her question. "Well if I knew what you would do, I'd win each and every fight." He responded confidently. Tillie sighed and nodded her head. The other children laughed and joined them. "How about we make a deal? If you can beat August together, then I will tell a story." She smiled at the children in front of her. "What, why me?" August asked. They all started cheering and grabbed their swords running after August.

Tillie looked at the children running after August and smiled. "Relieve that man from his misery." Commander Foreman had approached her. "Alden wants to see us." He said. Tillie nodded her head and whistled signaling the children over. August sighed with relief as he made his way. "You are all dismissed, the story has to wait for the next time." Tillie said. The children were disappointed, but made their way to their homes. Tillie and August followed the Commander into the heart of the new world. When they entered the conference room, Commander Nobleman and Alden were already seated. Tillie took her place and studied the men for a few minutes. "Why are we here?" she asked. "We found her Tillie." Alden said.

Tillie looked at him in shock. "Who did you find?" she asked. "The girl from your dreams." Tillie closed her eyes for a moment, hoping all the thoughts in her head would stop too. "Are you sure it's her?" she asked. "Everything matches your description perfectly." Commander Nobleman replied. "Who is she and where is she?" Tillie asked. "Breaker, we are not sure it's the best idea for you to look for her." He replied. "What are you talking about? Off course I am going after her, I am going to save her." "At what cost Tillie? " She studied the man in front of her for a few minutes. She sensed that something was off. "What aren't you telling me?" she asked. "The girl from your dreams is staying in a training camp for the elite troops." Commander Nobleman answered. 

August looked at his best friend. "You can't do it. The risk is too great." He said. She looked over at Alden and studied him for a couple of minutes. "You are terribly quiet, old man." A smile appeared on his lips. "The others are right, you are our next king, we cannot risk you." He responded. The others all sighed relieved. "But this girl is the key to your visions, I believe she can help you." He said. "I thought we agreed on this." Commander Nobleman shouted. Tillie looked at him, she had never seen him disrespect Alden. "Do you think she can save us if she doesn't even want to use her powers?" Alden asked. The room fell silent. "We can teach her." Commander Foreman said. "We are not the answer." Alden replied. "And some girl from a random vision is? What if this vision isn't a vision at all but just a random dream?" August said angry. "We must have faith and confidence in her judgement. So, what do you want to do Tillie?" Alden asked. "I am going after that girl." She replied. 

August stormed out of the room and left the others. Tillie was ready to go after him. "Give him a minute, he will come to his senses." Alden said. "Are you sure about this Tillie?" Commander Foreman asked her. "Yes, it is too much and too detailed to be arbitrary." "Okay, then we will support your decision." The room was quiet for a few minutes. "We need to get you in that elite camp. We have two options here; you turn one of us in or we tip them that someone is being locked up by us." Alden said. Tillie looked over at Alden. "Not happening, I won't turn someone in." she said. "You have to, that's the only way you will get in." The Commander answered her. "They will be killed; I won't let that happen." "Everyone here is ready to make that sacrifice for you." He replied. "Well I am not. I will find another way." Tillie said sternly. "Tillie there is no other way." Alden looked at her. "There must be. I won't hand someone over." With those words Tillie walked out of the room.

Over the next couple of days Tillie and Commander Foreman had devised an alternate plan to get her into the training camp. But they were all thrown in the garbage one by one. The Commander had drawn the layout of the camp for her, so she knew her way around the site. Foreman was writing down the hierarchy. "Everything in the camp is based on order. It is the council's highest believe that the order in a training camp must be maintained at all times." He said. "So they all follow the orders of their superior blindly? Do they even know what they are fighting for?" Tillie asked. "I don't have an answer to that question, I am sorry." He answered. "But we think this is the camp structure; One leader reports to the council, he takes orders from them and trains soldiers. He has a left and a right hand, each responsible for training a group of soldiers. Your position is determined according to your fighting skills, the more fights you win; the higher your rank." "Do you think I have a chance?" Tillie asked. "If you get in, you will. My bet is that you are even stronger than the leader, but that isn't where you want to end." Commander Foreman said. "He can't feel threatened by me." She softly said. "Exactly."

"Foreman, how do you know all this?" Tillie studied the man as he fiddled nervously with his papers. "In preparation of the big parade in the city, people tend to talk a lot." He said. Tillie knew that was a lie; but she didn't press him further. "What parade?" she asked. "The council organizes a parade each year to show how powerful they are, it's a celebration for the people." He replied. "Wait, wait, have you been to any of these parades?" she asked. "Last year I went to have a look. I wanted to know how big the army was and who was helping them to hunt the mages. But unfortunately I came back with no answers." He said. "Describe it to me." Tillie said. "Did it have a red carpet and a big willow three?" she asked. "Yeah, how did you know?" The commander asked. "I have to be there. How long do I have?" she asked. "The parade is in three days, if you want to make it to the city, you have to leave tomorrow." He replied.