Chapter 13 - The squad

The soldiers were gathered in the central area of the camp as Timber took his position in front of them. Valen ushered Tillie to come along and stand beside them. "A few days ago we all saw the Breaker in action. The council and the boss have decided that she will lead the fourth squad." Makin began his speech. Timber looked everywhere except at Tillie. She felt her anger rising at his attitude. If he didn't believe in her, then how would his soldiers?

"Since Tillie or Breaker only agreed if she could do things her way. I let her explain how this will go." Valen introduced her. Tillie took a deep breath, she had to convince at least a few of them or it would be over for her here. There was no way she would be able to join a squad and listen to these assholes with their stupid power complex. And so she began: "I know you all are used to working on the basis of rank and strength. I do things differently, there are other things more important to me. Timber has asked me why people call me Breaker. I will tell you guys the same thing I told him, I rescued someone from under the rumble and rocks of a ruin in the middle of a burning fire. I broke through an impossible situation. But my strength wouldn't have gotten me nowhere without my courage or the help of others. "

Tillie paused and looked at the men lined up in squads standing in front of her. "So those who want to learn something can join my squad. Those who just want to test my strength and leadership can fuck off. Timber has plenty of room for you guys in his squad."

It was dead silent for a second. And then Timber laughed loudly. "I don't think they are interested." He said with a big smile. But then, to their surprise, something happened. Louis, the first man Tillie had fought, stepped forward from his ranks. "I want in." he simply said. "Me too." Robert, the second man she had beaten, followed. There were actually quite a few men in each squad who wanted to join her.

And then Tillie saw how Timber's face grow angry within seconds. The place went dead silent as someone from his squad stepped forward. "I am joining to." Ace knight said. Timber looked fuming in her direction at the statement of Ace. Tillie smiled grateful at him. There were a few other guys from Timber's squad that followed Ace, making him angrier by the minute. "Ok, now that's settled. The boss himself, Valen and I will be supervising your performances. So, I suggest you all work hard." Makin stated.

Tillie looked over her squad, from her own tests she had seen that the camp was built entirely on strength. But she knew that you needed more than strength to survive. Tillie had studied many of the ancient leaders, their tactics, strengths and weaknesses. If she knew one thing then it was that if the guys didn't trust her or worked together, they wouldn't achieve anything.

"Breaker, they are all yours. I'll show you to your training grounds." Makin said. Tillie walked through the camp with him, he escorted her to a more secluded part of the camp. A wide training ground spread at Tillie's feed as he stopped. A smile appeared on her face as she thought at the training possibilities. A box ring lay in front of her, surrounded by an obstacle parkour and other tools for training.

"The floor is yours baby" Makin winked at her as he gestured to their surroundings. Tillie rolled her eyes at him and he grinned widely. She turned around and looked at the men in front of her. "I know that everything around us here is built on strength and order. As I said before I want to do things differently with you guys. So I want to start with one simple rule nothing is more important to me than the squad, not one of you, it's not your performance as an individual. I only consider you guys as a squad from now on. I am not your leader, I am part of the squad." She stated clearly. "If you aren't our leader how then are we going to learn things?" Louis asked. "I have my field of expertise, but I am sure that in other fields there are guys among you who would be a far better fit to teach us something. So the first goal of this new squad is finding out where each and every one of you has his place, where your expertise lies. We will set a goal as a squad and we will succeed or fail as a squad. If one of us fails, we all have failed. In the same way I will reward and punish as well. And I am not above those punishments just to be clear. I expect dedication, discipline and respect from you guys. Threat me and everyone in this squad like that, and we will get far. If not, you can leave immediately. I am not interested in personal gain, power or knowledge. I want to know how you can make this squad better, what do you think it takes for us to succeed?" Tillie paused as she looked over at her men, they were looking at her with eyes full of admiration.

"Goodluck baby, with Timber on your back you will need it." Makin tried to kiss her cheek. Before Makin could do that Tillie had grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back. "I am not your baby, I think I proved that when I kicked your ass. If you keep threating me without respect then stay away from me. It's more than enough that Timber is already doing that." Makin nodded his head a bit afraid, he quickly disappeared back into the camp.