Chapter 27 - Council

Ace had been sitting by her bed as they ate dinner together. When he was done, Timber walked in and took a seat at the foot of the bed. Ace smiled at his friend. "Guess you were right." Timber said to him. Tillie looked intrigued at the two men in front of her. "When wasn't I?" Ace asked. "Don't push it Ace." Timber smiled a genuine smile.

"How are you feeling Love?" Timber asked. She nearly choked on her water. "Love?" she questioned him. "Boy it's all or nothing with you, isn't it?" He grinned like a teenager who was madly in love. "Seriously Tillie" he said. "I feel better now that we are out and in the open." She softly said. "I am sorry I had to be provoked to realize how much I wanted you." He apologized. Tillie smiled as she placed her hand on his cheek. "You are forgiven." A smile formed on her lips. "I am out before you guys start making babies." Ace said with a grin. "Not in her condition." Timber answered as he sat down on the bed next to Tillie. "What's wrong?" she asked. "Why do you think something's wrong?" "I can see it by the look on your face. Talk to me." Timber sighed as he looked at her. "The council wants to talk to you about what happened." He said. "Why?" Tillie asked. "They are impressed that you defeated Boris. They want to meet you." Timber answered. "And they have heard about you and me." He added.

After Timber had helped Tillie into her sweater he escorted her through the camp to the jeep. Timber helped her inside and took place behind the wheel. "Prepare me, I don't like being ambushed." She said. "You are meeting the council. The twelve wise men chosen by the provinces and Illmenni their counselor." As that name rolled over Timber's lips a shiver ran down Tillie's spine. "What's he like?" she asked. "You won't like him." Timber said. "Why not?" "He is the one who decides about life and death." Tillie looked out the window. "Why is the camp so far from the council chamber?" she asked. "The council has its own security guard, they trained together with me. They never leave the chamber. They are the protection of the hill, while we are the protection of the land." Tillie looked confused at Timber. "It will all make sense when we get there." He answered.

Tillie had fallen asleep until Timber stopped the car. "Love" he softly stroked her cheek to wake her up. Tillie saw that they were parked in front of the biggest staircase she had ever seen. "We are here. If you can't go any further, just say the words and I'll carry you to the top." Timber stepped out of the car and Tillie followed his lead. The stairs were hell, but Tillie didn't want Timber to carry her, stubborn as she was. The stairway whirled through a remote jungle part, going steeper stair after stair. When they finally had reached the top, Tillie needed a moment to catch her breath. Two guards stepped forward and searched them for weapons. Tillie refused to hand over her sword. After an argument between Timber and the guard she was allowed to keep it on her.

On top of the hill was a beautiful park. Flowers, grass, trees and shrubs all planted and maintained to perfection. Only the filthy rich had money for such a park. In the middle of the park was a beautiful white temple, Timber guided Tillie to it. Guards opened the doors for them and they were granted entrance to a large beautiful room. The floor was decorated with the most exquisite marble Tillie had ever seen. Everything in that room screamed power and money. At the front of the room stood something that looked like a courtroom. "Is this an interrogation?" Tillie whispered. "Maybe, but I am here to protect you." Timber answered. Tillie took place in the stance as she watched the twelve enter.

The next moment an ice cold wind smashed into her face, the hair on her back rose and goosebumps formed all over her body as Illmenni entered the room. Tillie could see it immediately, he was purely evil. He looked so familiar and yet she couldn't place him. He was without a doubt a mage with dark powers. His dark aura clouded the room, almost suffocating Tillie. But she concentrated and tried not to be affected. Why would a mage point out and kill other mages? It passed Tillie, she couldn't find an explanation.

Illmenni didn't look old at all, he couldn't have been much older than Timber. He was built to perfection, brown hair shaved on the sides. What stood out the most was his neck filled with tattoo's, lines that moved. His dark brown eyes pierced into Tillie's before his eyes roamed over her body. A mischievous grin filled his face, showing his pearly white tooth.

"Breaker, finally among us. It's an honor." Illmenni said. Tillie studied the man for a moment. "Thank you" She simply replied. "I am sorry for what happened with Boris. We should have cleaned up that mess a long time ago." Tillie felt herself getting sick. All these men were simply disposable to him. "It is almost magical how you came into our midst. First saving Althea, earning your own squad and now saving a lot of soldiers. But most of all Timber's honor." Tillie had to concentrate on staying calm, she couldn't let him get to her. "Come here, come closer I want to study you." Illmenni commanded. Tillie stepped from behind the stand and moved closer in front of the group men. She quickly realized that Illmenni held all the strings. These wise men were completely under his spell.

"Take off your clothes I want to have a look at your ink." He commanded. "Excuse me?" Tillie asked shocked, she didn't like were this was going. She knew damn well what he wanted to check. But she couldn't let him know that she knew about the tattoos. Tillie looked at Timber, he was ready to kill him. "Do you ask all the soldiers to undress or just the females?" she stated. A small chuckle was heard in the room. "So the rumors about you being trouble are true. Let me ask again, take off your clothes." Illmenni commanded. "I don't see why that's necessary" Timber tried to stop the situation. "Did I ask you something? Or has your girlfriend lost her tongue? Is she worth losing everything over?" Illmenni looked sternly at Timber. "Is it too much to treat her with respect? She has done a lot for us." Timber challenged him. "Has she now?" Illmenni asked and his tone changed completely. "Or did you fail to notice that we didn't catch a single mage from the moment she came along?" he added. "So I am asking this for the last time, take off your clothes or I'll rip them off you." He stepped off the platform and drew his knife. Tillie stared Illmenni in the eye as she took off her clothes until she stood in her underwear. "Spectacular" Illmenni let out a low whistle, which got Timber totally on edge.

He motioned for Tillie to move closer. Tillie knew exactly what he was looking for. She tried to wrap her head around the fact that he had so much knowledge about mages. He studied the lines of all her tattoos. "It's fascinating, I rarely see a human with so much ink." Illmenni tried to lure her out. "What do you mean?" Tillie played dumb. "Nothing it's just fascinating, why do you have so much ink?" he asked her. "To cover my battle scars." Tillie simply stated. "I see you have quite a collection of them too." "Yes sir, that happens when you risk everything for others." It came out like the sneer it was supposed to be. "You are magnificent." He whispered. "I don't like the way you are looking at me. If you are studying me like this it would only be fair to let me look at your collection." Tillie pointed to his neck. Illmenni's loud diabolical laughter filled the room. "You are right." He said. He took off his expensive sweater in seconds, displaying his muscular chest. Tillie looked at the ink. It was big, but luckily not as big as her ink.

Illmenni circled Tillie. "So it's correct that you have beaten Boris, full of whipmarks?" he asked. Tillie nodded her head. "And Makin with a gunshot wound in your shoulder?" He added another question. Tillie nodded her head again. "I bet you would even beat Timber if you were completely healed." Tillie looked at Timber, she saw how he was on the edge of exploding. "Why are you with him, if you could be with me, I can offer you so much more?" Illmenni asked. Tillie smiled. "Because I don't know you at all." Tillie tried to be as polite as possible. "Darling there is plenty of time to get to know me." Tillie smiled. "I am perfectly happy where I am right now. And if you'll excuse me. I am still recovering from the attack." She turned around and grabbed Timber's hand as she walked out of the room.