Chapter 31 - Break out

"Tillie" a voice entered Tillie's vision repeating her name over and over again. She couldn't place the voice until suddenly she heard someone scream. "Tillie" Ace screamed as he slammed the bars of her cell again. Tillie woke up from her sleep filled with nightmares. She remembered what had happened, how she had taken the pill releasing her powers. Tillie looked straight into Ace's concerned eyes. She groaned. "Save me the I told you so" "No, I told you this was a bad idea. And it looks like I am right, since you still are here." He sighed loudly.

"Ace how long can it take?" Louis screamed from around the corner. "Louis is here?" Tillie asked confused. "Yes all the guys are here, they are waiting for your command" Ace said with a broad smirk. "What?" Tillie looked startled at him. "When did you become deaf? Me and the guys are waiting for your command" He repeated himself. "No, I can't. I am a mage." Tillie stammered. "Nobody on the squad gives a fuck." Ace replied. "What?" it was the second time that Tillie felt confused. "Breaker, nobody on the squad gives a fuck about who you are, you are our leader and that's all that matters. You are the reason we are doing so well and are standing so strong. Most of the guys suspected already something, frankly we don't give a shit. We will follow you wherever you lead us. But right now we have to do something." Ace said with a broad grin.

"Where do you expect me to lead us?" Tillie asked. "You are not listening. Timber is in danger" Ace said. Tillie looked at her friend, defeat had filled her eyes. "Breaker, he is walking in a trap. The whole squad could feel it. We have got to save them." Ace pleaded. "I can't do shit from here." Tillie said as she raised her shoulders. "Cut the crap Breaker." Ace said. She looked shocked at him. "You are the strongest mage the world has ever seen, a lock won't stop you. You are an Amor for crying out loud." "He has made it clear that he doesn't want anything to do with me." Tillie replied. "And so you are going to let him die?" Ace asked. Tillie looked concerned at Ace. "What do you mean? Why do you think that?" she quickly asked.

"Althea" Ace simply replied. "What about Althea?" Tillie asked curiously. "She came to me, said she had a vision about her brother." Tillie rubbed her forehead "I can't" she replied again. "Yes you can. Focus on him, he is your beacon. He is your soulmate, you know damn well what happens when he dies. You have to save him or we are all done, and you know it." Ace said sternly. Tillie sighed and concentrated. She felt how the magic tickled in her fingers, ready to come out, to lash out at all the bad around her.

Tillie moved her fingers and drew an elegant L-shape over the lock, in seconds it opened. When she stepped out the cells with Ace by her side, she was shocked. Her entire squad stood ready in uniform, waiting for her command. Tillie looked at them, they all wore their black combat uniform, but with one fascinating detail. Around each wrist an embroidery of large roses was added. "What do you think?" Ace asked. "It was Althea's idea." He smiled at her. Tillie faced her soldiers with her head held high. "I am sorry for not being truthfully about what I am. But that doesn't matter, the only thing that matters right now is saving the rest of the elite." Tillie spoke. "Breaker are you nuts? The council will have you killed." Louis said. Tillie smiled. "Then we just have to be faster than the council, no?" Tillie smiled as the men laughed. "We are with you, but after this we can't come back here." Louis said. "No we can't." Althea said. Tillie looked surprised to see Althea in uniform amongst her soldiers. "But Tillie will lead us to a place where we can start a new life." She added.

Tillie closed her eyes, she couldn't take any risks. She channeled her inner powers and a wave of magic washed over the soldiers. She cast a spell to see if one of them had other plans, but they all stood united behind her. "Pack light and fast, we leave in half an hour. Louis and Carlos arrange transportation for us." Tillie commanded like a true leader. The soldiers shattered over the camp within seconds as Tillie faced Althea and Ace. "Are you guys sure about this?" she asked. "Yes, it was horrible." Althea confirmed. "Althea you have to describe to me what your vision said, the smallest detail matters." And so Althea did.

The soldiers gathered back outside the camp, Tillie peered over the horizon, they would need to move fast, if they wanted to save the rest of the soldiers. If Althea's vision was correct, they would be ambushed by the same rebels who tried to assassin Althea. Their numbers had grown significant over the past months, driven by hunger and discontent with the council.

As the squad moved with the trucks toward the battlefield a pain settled in Tillie's stomach. It was clearly visible on Tillie's face "What's wrong?" Ace asked. "He is suffering, we have to move faster." Tillie replied. The trucks didn't move very fast in the mountains. "If we go through the mountains we will be faster." Ace remarked. Tillie looked at him. "We can't move all together." She said. "No you have to select the fastest runners." Tillie sighed.

"Louis you are in charge, get the men safely to the battlefield." Tillie commanded. "I am coming with you." Althea said. "No you aren't" Tillie stopped her. "Yes I am, I can help." "Althea you can't control your magic yet. You need to wait, we will teach you what to do. But right now the risk is too big. I can't save your brother if I have to look after you. Promise me you will stay here with the others." Tillie looked straight in her eyes. Althea looked angry in front of her. "Althea?" she asked. "Fine, but if you don't come back I will make sure that I drag you personally out of hell." Tillie smiled and hugged her tightly. "I am glad that your spoiled princess days are behind us." Tillie said. Althea chuckled. "Or so you hope. Go save my brother."

Tillie jumped out of the truck, followed by Ace, Carlos and a handful of other soldiers. They carried their weapons but nothing else, making it possible to travel quickly through the mountains. Tillie took off running as the rest followed. "How do you know the way?" Ace asked curiously. "I just have to follow my heart." Tillie replied as she listened to the beating of her heart. "Is there something we should know?" Carlos asked. Tillie looked at the men running beside her. "He is my soulmate." She said casually. "Meaning?" Carlos looked confused at her. "If he dies, I die too." "Then let's run faster." Tillie nodded her head and did as Carlos said.