Chapter 32 - Save him

As the battlefield came into view, Tillie immediately saw that the black elite soldiers were completely outnumbered. The site was carefully chosen, the trees and sheer cliffs, made the terrain a difficult place. The rebels had surrounded and driven them into a corner. The place was covered in traps. She knew what had happened, Timber was angry and it had cost him dearly. Many soldiers had already lost their lives. Tillie looked across the battlefield, she couldn't see him right away. "There is an opening on the right side, there are only a few men we have to take out." Ace said after observing the field. Groups of rebels were placed around the field to keep the black elite soldiers in place. Tillie nodded her head as they followed Ace, sneaking around the battlefield. Within seconds they had taken out a small group of rebels. Tillie motioned for her soldiers to move forward.

"Why can't you simply use magic?" Carlos asked. Ace looked at her curiously, waiting for her answer. "Because I can't." Tillie answered. Carlos sensed that this was a sensitive topic and closed his mouth. The truth was that her emotions were all over the place as long as she hadn't an idea how Timber was doing, if she would use her magic now, there was no guarantee what the outcome would be. "Can we have eyes on the top?" Tillie asked as she looked at the men that had her back. Lenny nodded and disappeared quickly. "Any ideas?" she asked. "We need to remove the blockade around them. With the opening we have, we may have a chance, but things would look better if the gap was bigger." Ace said. "If we can put Carlos and Juan on top, maybe they can take out a few with bow and arrow." One of her soldiers suggested. "Do they have guns?" Tillie asked. "I haven't seen one?" she looked at the others. "No, there is only one group who still has them and they are far below the city." Carlos added. "We found out that they paid a lot for the gun used during the parade. We searched and cut off their funds." He smiled.

Lenny returned after scouting the terrain and he had spotted a place where Carlos and Juan could settle down to shoot. "Lenny, you go with them to protect them. Watch my moves and wait for the signal" Tillie commanded, both disappeared within seconds. The rest of the group moved further around the field without drawing any attention to themselves. The terrain was covered in rocks and threes giving them plenty of places to hide. "Do you think Carlos will be able to shoot here?" Ace asked. "We'll help." Tillie smiled. As they approached another group of rebels, the battlefield was only a few yards away. Tillie could easily see where the fighting was taking place.

"You guys stay here, I'll lure them out. If something goes wrong, it was an honor." Tillie saluted. She walked out from of the trees and moved toward a more open part of the terrain. As she blew her fingers loudly, the rebel group they planned to attack immediately moved in her direction. Tillie raised her hand and as she signaled a 'go' move, arrows filled the sky. She knew why she had chosen Carlos and Juan. They were both extremely skilled archers. Although there were only two of them, they made it look like a whole army was standing on the hill. The group was quickly split in half when Tillie drew her sword. The rebels who approached her, begin to attack without looking around. Ace and the rest of the men stormed out of the woods, finishing what was left of the group in seconds.

"I think we have a gap now." Ace smiled as they joined Tillie. "Don't cheer too soon, we aren't there jet." She said. They moved quickly further over the terrain, staying low and out of side. When the battlefield came into view, it became clear how bad the situation was. Ace sighed as he looked at the situation in front of him. "This is bad." He said.

"What do you want to do because I don't have a single clue how to end this mess." Ace said. "Where is Makin's squad?" Tillie realized that that was the reason why there were so little soldiers on the field. "They are training with Boris's soldiers to integrate them into the black elite." Tillie sighed. "At least Valen is out there?" she asked. "I hope so." Ace replied. "All we have to do is bring me near Timber." Tillie replied. The others nodded their head.

Suddenly an arrow with a black ribbon flew through the sky in the direction of the battlefield. Tillie looked up, it came from where Carlos was hiding. She smiled and followed the location. Arrow after arrow followed as the crew moved across the field. Soon rebels began to notice them. Tillie hadn't much trouble beating them, they weren't organized and very sloppy. An ax slammed into her blade and she found herself face to face with an enraged commander. Tillie twirled her sword with her wrist as she looked at the man in front of her. They almost looked fierce, as their outfits consisted mainly of fur tied around their bodies. The fire in his eyes however, would terrify many soldiers. As their blades collided Tillie smiled, with the magic in her, her strength was no match for this poor soul. Within seconds she had knocked him, delivering blow after blow.

And then an antagonizing scream echoed across the battlefield. Tillie followed the direction of the sound and there she saw Timber face to face with the leader of the rebels. Timber was badly injured, barley standing on his feet. Tillie watched as he was fighting two other rebels and their leader. Adrenaline floated through her body as she sprinted over the bodies to Timber. It was as if time stood still and everything moved slowly.

Tillie saw how the leader raised his sword, ready to behead Timber, who was on his knees in the middle of the field. Anger boiled through her veins. Magic lifted her over the crowd, a light glow began to form around her body. Soldiers around her dropped their swords immediately. With her aura, she pushed through the crowd until she was right in front of Timber. The sword sliced down and Tillie slid right in front of it. She arched her back to protect Timber. The sword collided with her aura sending the leader back in an enormous explosion. Immediately a dome formed over Timber, shielding him from all the danger around them. Tillie's hands began to move automatically as a magic lightning ball formed in her hands, fueled by all the anger of seeing the state her soulmate was in. The ball crashed across the field and all the rebels were knocked out within seconds..

When the magic poured out of Tillie's body, she collapsed. She sat down next to Timber, cradling him in her arms. She ran her fingers gently over his cheek. The other soldiers rushed towards them. "Tillie." Valen stammered. "You saved us." He softly said. "Even with how he treated you, even if you know what we have to do with you." "You don't have to do anything with me." She replied. "And I will always save him." She added, a tear formed on her cheek. She softly placed him down between the bodies. Raindrops began to fall from the sky. Tillie started to twirl on an imaginary thread above Timber's heart. "mo ghaol uile" she whispered as a light formed where Timber's heart was. It seemed as if Tillie tied a ribbon with a bow over and over again on Timber's heart. It seemed as if she was tying all his strings back together.

Timber gasped, the soldiers around her sighed. Tillie pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "Keep him warm and clean him." She commanded. She stood back up and came face to face with Valen. "What are you doing?" "I am going, I think in exchange for saving his life, you can let us go. You will need us for what's coming." She said. "He needs you, stay with us." Valen tried to argue with her. "At the moment he is too stubborn. I just hope he realizes what he means to me before it is too late."