fourteen. tainted memories

-CHAPTER FOURTEEN-
~tainted memories~

VIOLA HAD NO IDEA how to go about asking Sirius about the letter

VIOLA HAD NO IDEA how to go about asking Sirius about the letter. "Hey— why is a relative of yours saying that mine has to be killed?" seemed a little too... forward. Especially if Mrs. Weasley happened to overhear and ruined any of Viola's chances of answers.

But her main problem seemed to be that Mrs. Weasley was always, well, everywhere. She spent her days venturing throughout the whole house, from room to room, cleaning or decorating or simply just moving around to stretch her legs. So, essentially, anywhere Viola could go to ask Sirius some questions, she wasn't able to guarantee that Mrs. Weasley wouldn't burst in before she even got a single question out.

She would have to wait until Mrs. Weasley left the house.

Only on Christmas Eve did the opportunity arrive when Mrs. Weasley announced they would be going to see Mr. Weasley in St. Mungo's tomorrow. Sirius would be staying, of course, since he wasn't allowed to leave the house, so it was a perfect opportunity for Viola.

Now she just needed an excuse to stay.

~•~

After a long night of running through different options in her head (and unfortunately being unable to attract any epiphanies), Viola was woken up on Christmas morning by something being thrown at her head.

Yelping, she grabbed her pillow from beneath her and covered her face as laughs echoed from nearby.

"It's Christmas!" Ginny exclaimed. "Wake up, you've got presents!"

Viola put the pillow down, blinking heavily as her eyes adjusted to the light. "Won't have many intact ones left if you throw them at me," she said, glancing at the thing that had hit her: a small, wrapped box.

"Get up, then! We've been waiting for you until we open our presents."

Viola smiled as she pulled back the bed covers. True to Ginny's word, both Hermione and her were sitting on the ground with a pile of wrapped gifts in front of each of them. The third one rested at the foot of Viola's bed.

They made their way through their piles pretty quickly, even despite getting distracted by almost everything. Hermione would want to thoroughly inspect every present she got, while both Viola and Ginny would keep wanting to eat any of their presents that involved food.

"Hey, Viola, what is that?" asked Ginny, raising a hand to point at something. She sat on the floor, leaning back against the bed as she chewed on a Jelly Slug, surrounded by the wrapping paper of all her now-opened presents.