twenty-four. exams & excursions

-CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR-
~exams & excursions~

"I'M DROPPING OUT of Hogwarts," Viola announced

"I'M DROPPING OUT of Hogwarts," Viola announced. A piece of wind blew some hair into her face; she swiped it away, growing more annoyed by the second. Did the universe hate her? "Where's McGonagall? I need to find a resignation form."

"All I did was tell you you're not on the right page."

Viola sat up, hoping that no grass had gotten stuck in her hair from lying against it for so long, to ensure Hermione knew she was not having a good time. The glare she sent probably would have done it, but Hermione didn't look up from her textbook to receive it.

"You won't be able to tell me that in an exam."

"Well," said Hermione, eyes trailing along some kind of passage about Wendelin the Weird, "that's not an issue, because you won't have any books with you during them."

Viola released a loud groan and fell back down, wincing as a surge of pain shot through her neck after landing. She was beginning to regret not following after Ron and Harry, who insisted they couldn't study outside because of allergies. As if that was believable. She knew damn well that they were probably raiding the kitchens right now, laughing about the extra study they had avoided.

She only agreed to come outside because the pressure was mounting and every moment not spent studying in misery was occupied by guilt. Not that that was exactly prompting her to do much extra work — hence why she promised herself to start studying more with Hermione.

Exams had always been a hefty weight that enjoyed knocking Viola into a destructive spell. And after being exempt from last year's, she had nearly forgotten the impact they had on her, coming back full force now. She could cope with class tests and quizzes — though definitely didn't even slightly enjoy them — and homework assignments, but exams were a whole different story.

And now that these exams meant something? Being hit with hexes from all angles would be preferable to dwelling on them for too long. There were so many things that could go wrong, and the thoughts of each of them becoming a reality was kind of making her spiral into insanity.

What if she didn't get good enough results to keep up the subjects she wanted for N.E.W.T.s? What if she failed them all and got kicked out of Hogwarts? What if she did badly and Edwin beat her in a few years when it was his turn? Oh, who was she kidding — she knew Edwin would beat her.

"Thanks, Hermione."

"In any case, you're more ahead than Harry and Ron," said, looking up for the first time to roll her eyes.