twenty-one. too many surprises

-CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE-
~too many surprises~

VIOLA DID NOT WANT to look up, even when she smelled the fresh grass beneath her that was so different from the grass in the graveyard

VIOLA DID NOT WANT to look up, even when she smelled the fresh grass beneath her that was so different from the grass in the graveyard. She was still clinging onto Harry's hand, and he was grasping hers just as hard. She focused on it and the feeling of the cup handle in her other, not looking up, not opening her eyes, hoping to just stay there for as long as she possibly could.

The tingling feeling in her stomach was gone now, but it felt slightly prickly from the intensity of it in the graveyard. And maybe if she didn't look up, didn't face the fact that what had just happened had really happened— she could convince herself that it hadn't happened.

Yet the crowd didn't know what had happened and a second later, Viola was deafened by their ecstatic cheers of joy at the appearance of the champions. But those cheers morphed into screams once they all began to realise what was actually in front of them. Viola kept her head down in the grass.

"Harry! Viola!"

She felt a pair of hands on her back, forcing her around. But she kept her eyes closed, hand still refusing to leave Harry's because surely if she did, something bad was going to happen again, she was going to be transported back to the graveyard, or something—

The ground underneath her was reverberating with the hundreds of footsteps of the surrounding people. So many voices were around her, saying words that were just swimming around uselessly in her head, refusing to make sense. Then, finally, she heard some.

"He's back," Harry was whispering to someone, his voice as distraught as Viola felt. "He's back. Voldemort."

She finally opened her eyes. They were back around the starting point of the maze, and the sky was now pitch black. There were so many people moving around that Viola couldn't discern who was who and what anyone was doing. The only one she was aware of was Harry, right next to her, clutching her hand and Cedric's wrist in his other. Dumbledore was kneeling right by them. Then Fudge's face appeared in the mix, awfully white and scared looking.

"Whats going on? What happened?" he said. "My God— Diggory! Dumbledore— he's dead!"

It was almost like an echo, the way those words were repeated by those nearest, sending the message spreading down the tide of people who were trying to get some kind of information on the matter at hand. Viola wished they would stop. The words were ringing enough in her head without them being repeated aloud. It was her fault for not doing something... she could have saved him...

"Harry, let go of him," said Fudge. But Viola noticed him only tighten his hold on Cedric's wrist. He also subconsciously squeezed her hand even harder.

"Harry, you can't help him now," said Dumbledore gently. "It's over. Let go."

"He wanted us to bring him back," said Harry desperately. "He wanted us to bring him back to his parents."