Chapter 21: Betrayal

Son? Who was she referring to? Claude thought, his index finger felt like burning, blood started coming out of it, he cut himself while hiding the blade under his robes. "I was looking for my father. I suppose he is not here," said Claude, making an excuse as he went. "Your father is at church, asking the archdeacon to marry us." 

Claude thought he heard wrong, but it seems that Jacque had plans to marry Fleur immediately.  Claude's face changed into a serious one, hateful, cold. He had to leave the room, he didn't hesitate to talk to the woman who will replace his mother. He needed a drink, and he knew where to go. He changed to casual, everyday clothing as to not look into something he never wished for, of course, he had to wear something to shield him from the cold air. 

He completely ignored the fact that he was still sick, a minor fever still attached to him. Maybe some cold from the winter air could help him. "Destroy them, they hurt our people." his head was filled with voices, from the three women, and his mother. Maybe the women were fooling him, for he thought maybe his mother wouldn't want her husband to die. 

He drowned his thoughts in alcohol for an hour. All his thoughts except one, Maria was on his head, it has been nearly months since he didn't see her. He was thinking of properly courting her, but traces of her were unknown, not a sign of Clopin nor Pierre Gringoire. Right at the corner of his eye, he saw a woman, semi cloaked and looking down. Claude recognized her immediately, Maria, sneaking out of the pub. Claude got so happy when he saw her, so he followed her, out, close to the cemetery. There was another hooded figure near them, waiting for someone. Maria walked to the figure who revealed himself to be Pierre, with open arms. Both hugged each other, which made Claude uncomfortable. He got closer to them, he wanted to talk, a chance to tell Maria what he had planned until Pierre kissed Maria, right in front of Claude.

He felt his heart cracking as he saw that Maria had feelings for another man. A fire was lighting up inside him, a dark one. He felt so used and so betrayed by the woman who stole her heart. "We will leave soon together my love. Start a new life in a better place for us," whispered Pierre, enough for Claude to confront them. "And He shall be offended by her disobedience and betrayal and banishes her from the Garden of Eden..."  Claude recited, the lovers separated and looked at the broken man before them, there was hate in his eyes as Maria looked at him, she knew she has lied to the man who has treated her well.

Maria: Claude, You don't understand, I can explain-

Claude: You don't have to explain anything. My father was right about you all. You both deserve to be burned. 

Maria: You and I weren't meant to be Claude. Our kind should never mix in front of the ones in charge. I never wanted to hurt you. I loved you, yes. But I know that we cannot be together.

Claude: I hope you two leave soon. Because if you don't I will hunt you down and kill you, vile, disgusting wretches!

The lovers didn't think twice but to leave Claude alone, making them an enemy of the ones who were once his friends. He went back home with tears in his eyes, a broken heart, and raging hate. He stood silent and weeping softly for a couple of minutes until a hand touched his shoulder, it was his father once he turned his head to meet his gaze.