Chapter 35: Yzanami

Claude ordered one of his guards to keep searching for Esmeralda and burn every building habited by gypsies or harboring them, burn their tents or markets full of their merchandise, he ordered to arrest gypsies too if they come across some of them. The guard didn't have the courage to ask about Pheobus, didn't want to anger his master. Claude, accompanied by Mary, stopped by the Palace of Justice to dine first for a few minutes, he was not feeling well. Claude felt sickly, his anger becoming a disgusting fever and his head pounding like something wanted to come out of him. He thought of Mary, perhaps she could dine with him, she has been a loyal servant. Maybe if she was as good as she claimed to be, she deserved a night off, and receive praise from her master. Once they entered, Mary headed to the kitchen but Claude stopped her when he called her. "I'd like for you to join me for dinner, let the others make our meal. You may take the evening off from your duties and get ready. " Claude said, Mary didn't protest, she just curtsied and left to her chambers, under the palace, near the dungeon.  As soon as he saw Mary leave he headed to the dining room, and sat in the same place his father once sat when he was the man of the household. The maids immediately poured some wine into his glass and placed it in front of him, in case he wanted more, Claude waited for Mary to present herself, he was patient for that, patient to perhaps try with a girl who was Esmeralda's age. He looked down at his glass, staring at the liquid as he was getting lost in thought again.

He wondered if Esmeralda should not choose him and had no choice but to make her suffer, he should give Mary a chance and if she was to fail him, which he doubted, then perhaps he can follow his father's footsteps and make Mary his as Jacque did to Laverne. Something made him shake his head and discard that idea, he didn't want to follow Jacque's steps on that, did he? Perhaps now Claude understands why part of Jacque did that, despite he knew Laverne was a gypsy. "Do not let such thoughts haunt you, my son. You will get ill if you go down that path." said a voice when he looked up and felt someone hold his hand. He saw a vision of the past, a vision of himself when he was a young boy of 10, sitting between his mother and father when they were young and alive. He saw Jehan on the other side of the table eating his meal, Jacque drinking and reading letters, and Laverne looking after her youngest child, a young Claude lost in his thoughts and looking at his mother. "I am sorry, mother. I do not know what else to do. I am so lost I...I have failed you, mum." said Claude, feeling tired, depressed, and defeated. Laverne caressed her son's cheek and gently kissed his forehead, she gave him a soft smile wanting him to know it was all right. "Hush now, child. Now it is not the time, promise me you will not hurt others when the fire burns, do it for me." Laverne's words echoed once Claude forced himself back into reality, he made that promise that night and yet knew he broke it long ago. 

He felt a small tear on his cheek, and he noticed he has cried, longing to have the happy moments of childhood back again. The last time he cried was when he saw Maria speaking and kissing Gringoire, many, many years ago. "Rowrso" he heard coming from the entrance, he saw Mary approaching him, her word was somehow familiar but it wasn't important now that Claude received her. He stood up and kissed her knuckles as she curtsied again, she had a beautiful dress, black trimmed in purple, with long sleeves and a skirt with floral embroidery that looked like Sakura petals. She had an emerald necklace around her neck, two ruby-stoned earrings that looked like a pair of eyes, and a ring without any stone at all, for Claude it was odd, yet he knew Mary had no partner, this could be an idea he was waiting for. "Come, let us talk. Wine?" said Claude, taking her hand and leading her to the table, he pulled the chair Laverne used to sit on beside her husband. Mary sat with such grace and no other words than "Thank you, my lord.". Claude poured some wine into her glass, and she happily grabbed it, smiling at Claude. She lifted it in front of Claude as if she wanted to make a toast "For a better Notre Dame. For its savior, Judge Frollo." said she, this made Claude clink his glass with hers and give a smile to his face. 

Claude: Thank you for accepting this little invitation. You have proven yourself to be faithful to me and to this city.

Mary: It is always my pleasure to serve this grand city and the people protecting it. 

Claude: I assure you we will stop this gypsy nonsense. With you by my side, you can help me look for her faster. Enough of this, for now, tell me about yourself, young one. 

Mary: About me, sir?

Claude: Yes. Your ancestry, you are not from their blood, are you? I hate to hear you come from a family of gypsies.

Mary: I am not one of them. I was raised by a wealthy family but not of their blood. I assure you, my lord I am nothing of a sort, I promise you. 

Claude: Even if you are you have betrayed them, my girl. I like you, you are not like that treacherous Pheobus who saved that family. You kept your ground, your fire is small and it will grow if you stay with me. I can teach you many things.

Mary: Teach me like you have taught Quasimodo?

Claude: Beg your pardon?

Claude was either drunk or very sick when he heard Quasimodo's name coming from Mary's lips. He had never told Mary about the Quasimodo, how did she know? He looked at her with an alert face, she just poured more wine into her glass, slightly smiling and looking at him, her back supported by the chair and slightly slouched. "Rowrso will be much disappointed in you when she sees what you've become. Torturing a poor child and her people." she said, where did he hear that name before? Rowrso. Claude stood up and kept staring at her, knowing something is wrong until he felt the air hot and cold at the same time which made him uncomfortable. "You are not Mary, who are you?!" he demanded, the candles around the room were snuffed out and lit again with a black and purple flame. Claude kept looking at Mary whose eyes were glowing purple with a black background, her long hair floating around her, seems like they were the only ones in the palace. Mary was up and looking back at Claude, her cup of wine still in her hand. For the first time, Claude was afraid.

Mary: I am Mary, all right. Or that is the name I chose for you to know me for, Claude Frollo. The little spell worked just fine.

Claude: Witch! Why do you mock me!?

Mary: My true name, is Yzanami. The One Who Invites, I am merely a witch, child. I am a Syngra. My masters are witches, you know them by their names. 

Claude: The triplets? They sent you to torment me!

Yzanami: Close enough, Claude. You missed one, Rowrso wanted me to look after you, make sure you don't break her promise. Laverne, was her name when she was a mortal. She knows you have failed her, naughty boy. 

Claude: Why come before me now? What do you want from me?

Yzanami: -giggles- 20 years ago I was reborn and became your mother's successor. What Laverne couldn't achieve as a Spectator like my masters, they resurrected me to fix their mistake, to witness your life, and make a decision of your outcome. You have shown me plenty today and 20 years ago, Claude. My apologies for tomorrow night, but that is an author's duty.

Claude: Blasphemy! You are a witch! Distracted me from getting the girl! Traitor! Guards!

Yzanami, known by Claude as Mary, smiled at him and giggled before she turned into smoke. The candles were snuffed out once again and lit up normally for Claude to find himself alone in the dining room. There was no trace of Yzanami, he couldn't believe what he heard, he was being watched all his life, controlled? Not likely, just trying to be led to a better direction other than the darkness. His servants arrived with their meal but Claude dismissed them quickly "Prepare my horse immediately!" He said, walking straight to the front door, and waiting on his horse. He knew his time was nearly short if Esmeralda was going to have help again from the woman who was with him. He mounted his horse and made it walk fast to the cathedral, he saw how everything burned, every family hiding in their houses, scared, he liked it when they followed his orders when they fear to disobey him. He knew he had to look for Yzanami again and break her like Jacque broke Laverne, if his father could, so could he. There was a minute when he stopped in front of the cathedral, and he saw how every statue was looking at him,  just like when he was going to drown a baby Quasimodo. He looked up to see the gargoyles looking at him with those evil eyes, he always found fear inside him when he approached the cathedral, a familiar fear from long past.