Chapter 7: Inner conflict

It was almost noon when Claude woke up, he must've fell asleep late in the morning. "Am I getting a disease?" he thought to himself for he couldn't sleep when he returned home, or what if he did fell asleep and he dreamt about the voices. He could still hear them in his mind, how they called his name, it was as if a woman was in pain, almost out of breath, cold, cruel. No, seeing his mother near his door wasn't a dream, it couldn't have been, he remembered grabbing her shoulders and leading her to her room, he remembered her tears and the need to comfort her. He must've gone to sleep a few hours before dawn and gone to a deep sleep by how drunk he was. 

He wore but one shirt, grey and some pants, he didn't want to focus on his studies today. Instead he took one or two latin books to read peacefully in the center of the city. Latin, the second he's ever learnt and spoken. He remembered it well, when he was little, Jacques' wish was to give his boys a high education. They were sent to the best University of Paris, the siblings learned discipline, manners and languages. Like every family Claude would learn but never use everything he was taught. Latin is fascinating, Claude thought, such art in speaking and grace in it.

A knock was heard on his door, "come in" he would usually say. It was Jehan, his brother exchanging a good morning to Claude. Jehan noticed his brother would not attend his father's lessons. He let that thought go and just made small talk before asking him to join him for breakfast.  "Are you going to help mother with the poor today?" Jehan asked, he was all ready like an archdeacon in the making, pretty silly Claude would think. For a young man, Claude was very judgy when seeing others appearances, what they wear, what they look like, but that was towards normal people, he was fascinated by the odd and the mysterious.

"If she is alright with it, I will. I was planning in reading today by the fountain. You are welcome to come if you like." Claude replied with his most calming voice, gentle sweet, but he was getting a headache. He remembered all the drinks he took with Maria, and then he remembered her. His saint, his light and goodness. A smile possess him and Jehan saw this, his brother was...happy. "You went out to the tavern again, didn't you? Who did you meet?" asked Jehan. Hearing this Claude shook his head and stood up to leave and join his family for breakfast.

Jehan's curiosity got the best of him and kept insisting. "I will tell you tonight, let me invite you to a drink. We can be alone. " Claude whispered. Just then they saw their mother alone in the breakfast table while being served some tea by their servants. Jacque was not present, this lightened Claude and sat beside his mother. The brothers kissed their mom's forehead and asked for Laverne's blessing. Right then, the perfect relationship between mother and sons kept growing as the monster called their father arrived for his meal.