Chapter 25: The eyes of Notre Dame

She was right in front of him, Claude could taste such victory up ahead when he took the reigns tightly and led his horse to Maria, she looked tired, weak, afraid. Once she saw him she ran away from the doors of the cathedral. Upon Claude reaching her, he grabbed the cloth object in her arms and attempted to take it off her. Maria held with all her strength, what was so important for her to resist, Claude thought. It was until his anger got the best of him to kick her off and take the unknown object to his hands and see Maria hit her head with the steps of Notre Dame. His old best friend, the woman with whom he fell in love and broke his heart, left. Claude has done it again, he had killed again, killed who he treasure most, besides his mother. His heart was heavy and pounding out of his chest, knowing she was lying there, still, cold, lifeless, unable to let her live beside him. His throat turned into a knot for an instant and his eyes felt as if they were going to water soon. (Mea Culpa) He felt a tear or two caress his thin cheeks as he saw her corpse, he was to live alone and unloved forever.

Until he heard a cry, a baby cry, coming from what Maria held in her arms. "A baby?" said Claude as he looked at the clothed child, and decided to see its face. It was no baby, it cried like one but it didn't look like one "A monster!" Claude covered his face once more, he knew he had to do something. He has killed the boy's mother, which would've been Claude's in another life. Witchcraft, a demon summoned to plague this world, Maria what have you done? You could've been saved, fool. Claude thought as he looked everywhere to hide the child and abandon him. The search wasn't long for he had guidance, the three shadows of his past watched and showed him the well that was a few steps away from him. He had the idea, unholy, evil, dark. The three entities kept chanting for Claude to do it. Claude, approaching the well and held the child high to commit his next unseen crime. "STOP!!!" cried the Archdeacon, but not just any person. It was nothing but his brother, Jehan, the Archdeacon of Notre Dame, it had been a while since they saw each other. He saw what Claude has done, his brother committing one of the worst crimes possible, to kill a defenseless, innocent child. It all seemed too familiar for both, at what happened in the palace of Notre Dame.

"This is an unholy demon! I'm sending it back to hell where it belongs!" claimed Claude as he took the baby in his arms once again, stopped close to Jehan, who lifted Maria's corpse into his arms, recognizing the gypsy instantly. It hurt him to know Claude got his revenge but knew he would never find peace. "See there the innocent blood you have spilled. On the steps of Notre Dame" said Jehan, ensuring to himself, there was still life in Maria, he didn't want Claude to find out.

Claude: I am guiltless, she ran, I pursued!

Jehan: Now you would add this child's blood to your guilt! On the steps of Notre Dame.

Claude: My conscience is clear!!!

Jehan: You can lie to yourself and your minions. You can claim that you haven't a qualm. But you never can, run from nor hide what you've done from the eyes. The very eyes of Notre Dame.

Jehan was right as he pointed to the lords and saints of the church, their statues looked as of they were looking and judging Claude for everything he has done. He felt a twinge of fear for his immortal soul, for once in his life of power and control has turned into a fearful one. The entities were watching him, as f they wanted him to do something he was unaware of. And he remembered what they said that day, that his life was about to change forever.

Claude: What must I do?!

Jehan: Care for the child, and raise it as your own.

Claude: What? I'm to be settled with this misshapen....Very well, but let him live with you and your church.

Jehan: Live here? Where?

Claude: Anywhere. Just so he's kept locked away where no one else can see. The bell tower perhaps. And who knows, our Lord works in mysterious ways. Even this foul creature may yet prove one day to be of use to me.

Claude smiled at the boy, having faith that one day he would be proud of his decision. Not as a father, but as a master. Who would've thought his lover would have a child and he would be there to raise it, he thought of it as he took his horse and rode back to the Palace of Justice, as Jehan carried Maria into the Church, hoping to make something good for the boy and Jehan's old friend. Both brothers, with different kinds of faith and hoping for better moments from the stars.