Chapter 8: Firewood

His servants poured him tea and served him some cookies as he entered the room and sat on his chair, facing his wife and sons. Before him there were some letters he needed to read and answer. At first, Claude and Jehan were intimidated, except Laverne who seemed to be in another world; a world where she can be alone and in peace without her husband's scolds. "Good morning and bless you all three." said Jacque as he opened his letters. Before reading the one with a purple envelope trimmed in black, he called to Jehan to come close and read it. "If you are to be the future Archdeacon of Notre Dame, please read this for us...in our righteous language please." he continued. Jehan took the latter and cleared his throat, and started reading it in Latin. Claude listened carefully as his father was as well. If Claude remembered correctly, the letter was addressed like this:

"Judge Frollo,

I send you this letter on behalf of Notre Dame's state. We have been plagued by Black Magic and Witchcraft. Our people claim our City has been haunted by three witches, taking our old women and corrupting the minds of young men. I beg you to set a curfew and to invite each townspeople to your church every Sunday. For the sake of the future, keep your family close as well. I shall wait your answer and approval.

P.S This might be work of the gypsies, I shall provide you aid to eliminate each one and cleanse this city pure."

The letter ended there and Claude felt hot as he listened. Did he hear correctly? Witches? The voices in his head, the visions. He knew something was wrong but he never thought it would be witches. He never believe there was the supernatural and never believed there was magic in earth; as well as he didn't believe that a grown man like Jacque would believe in such things. Could that be another reason why her dear mother was like that at such a young age? If Jacque were to place curfew, this meant he won't be able to see Maria at night, he must act quickly and quietly.

"Claude. You are to help me get people to church every Sunday, keep everything in order. Jehan can help with the chorus and prayer. Laverne stays with our servants." Jacque said as Claude stood up, getting ready to head out and relax. He took two of the thickest books his father made him read through the year, he wanted to be in his father's good graces before meeting his wrath. He wanted to look for Maria and ask her about this, were the gypsies really summoning witches to protect them from the normal people? Perhaps Maria wasn't like them, despite how they spent it the other night.

And Like any young man, he defied all negativity to get the good results and be happy.