Chapter 9: Introductions

Even this foul creature may
Yet prove one day to be
Of use to me.
____________________________

"Hear ye Hear ye! See a marvelous puppet show! A magic show! Full of wonders and smiles!" yelled Clopin from a distance as he was trying to make money to help himself. Claude looked at his direction and a smile escaped him as the child was acting like a real showman. Claude would enjoy these types of shows before but as he and Jehan grew, Jacque would keep them home, reading and learning, losing the last days of their childhood. It made his smile wider as he remembered his favorites. He shook his head, coming back to the present and aimed his eyes at the old text in his hands, focusing on his reading once again. 

There was a long period of silence and reading until, in an instant, Claude was startled by hands placed on his shoulders and made him freeze in place. He turned his head to see these hands, female hands wearing rings and bracelet, it was Maria who has startled the young boy. " What are you reading?" asked the girl, " Latin, is it? I could never understand or managed to learn it."     Claude closed the book and turned to meet her eyes, a small smile was given to her, letting her know he was glad to see her. 

"I can teach you if you like. It is simple to understand. Maybe it can help you." Claude said, but Maria wasn't too pleased from the last thing Claude said, she raised her eyebrow, thinking that Claude called her stupid and ignorant. Claude felt this and lowered his head to her "Forgive me, I didn't mean it as something to insult you. I meant as in a form of understanding other who speak it." Claude cleared his throat and stood up to her, feeling a bit of discomfort. "It's alright. It is my fault for interpreting it in a wrong manner. I'm the one that should be sorry. I know you mean well and you like to help us gy-"

"Brother!" they were interrupted by Jehan who caught up with his sibling. He stopped to catch his breath and then spotted them together. " Maria, allow me to introduce you to Jehan, my brother. Brother, this is Maria. She is..." A gypsy, said Jehan, finishing his brother's sentence as this one was making introductions. Claude felt a bit of insecurity knowing that Jehan doesn't like to defy their father and talking to Jacque's enemies. Claude reassured him that she is nothing to be feared and their father was wrong. 

"Come. Clopin's show is going to start. We should see his very first performance" said Maria pulling the boys to the sitting benches in front of Clopin's showbox. A young man approached the group with a hat, asking for the payment, another gypsy by who Maria called as Pierre Gringoire, a friend of hers. Of course all gypsies in Notre Dame are friends and allies so it made sense they know each other, Claude thought. "I'll pay. Consider it a gift from my part." Claude said to both his brother and Maria, "besides. It won't hurt me and my brother some fun from our childhood"

The show started after Claude gave two shillings to  Gringoire, there wasn't such a big audience, only them and five little kids whom found some money and wasted it for fun. It wasn't that bad for a first time but most of the hour, Claude wouldn't stop staring at Maria. Her laugh, her gentle and warm smile made him...happy. He would feel like he did such kindness to a misjudged woman who deserves a chance of a good life. Only one word crossed his mind as he felt warm and alive as that is what he felt toward the woman who made him feel warm.

Ignis...