Chapter 4: Sinful meeting

At first Claude felt scared to hurt someone or to upset someone, as he recovered and stood up his next feeling was shame. It was the tent of a woman, a young one, younger than him. She blushed a little as she looked at the man before her, she thought she was in trouble. She was not like the townspeople, she was a gypsy.

Claude looked away the second he laid eyes on her. "My apologies! I should have looked where I was going in the first place. Please don't get mad." he said as he bowed and kept his eyes down. The young woman smiled and approached him.

"It's alright. I'm not mad, I was just surprised don't be afraid." She said, Claude felt both comfort and anxiety. First he is not suppose to talk to a woman alone, And he is not suppose to talk to a gypsy, Jacque forbade him along for Jehan. "It's my turn to make a show. Stay if you like." Claude wanted to but he didn't want Jacque to see him and make trouble.

The girl headed outside to the stay as Claude hid I'm another tent, close to it. In a flash the girl appeared onstage dancing, moving gracefully, charming every man around her by her moves. Women would smack some of their husband's heads to stop flirting at the girl. Claude was under a spell, he felt warm, so warm it wasn't his dark clothes, but his heart was getting warm. He never met somebody before, of course he hasn't met anyone else during his studies. 

He returned to the Palace of Justice after the young girl's dance. Once there he found his mother by the fireplace where he had his weird experience. Laverne was still on a chair, sewing and staring at the fire, as if it hypnotized her. Claude shook his mother gently, and she looked at her son with a smiling face. It made Claude worry about his mother's behavior. "You're early. Did you not enjoy it?" She asked, their peace was later interrupted by Jacque who arrived. He entered the room, Claude and Laverne were already quiet. Claude felt upset of what happened.

"Why do you never approve of my feelings? Do I not have the right to enjoy small things in life?" he finally said, Jacque looked at him and Jehan who was entering the room after. "You have a duty. You should take things seriously and let fantasy die. The festival is nothing to have fun about. The lord is punishing me." Jacque replied. Laverne stood up and grabbed his son's hand trying to get her husband's attention.  "I sometimes wonder why you bothered having children if you are going to treat them like this. Treat mother like this and not give her the attention she wants." With this Jacque gritted his teeth and got close to Claude and finally slapped him across the face. Jehan and Laverne watching in fear and disgust.

"You ungrateful rat. You are blessed to have a life of righteousness and luxury. I'm giving you everything that keeps you alive and safe, giving you the best studies and the best of life. He blessed you to have this life and not like those wretched commoners and witches roaming our streets like pests. You are to be what he gave you through me or you will face His wrath and mine." His voice went more colder and more serious with every word. Laverne was terrified that one of her children was getting hurt. Claude's heart cracked a little, knowing his father is but a monster. Jehan pleaded for Jacque to stop and held Laverne tightly in his arms. 

A fire started inside Claude, it was but a wisp. Heating up, wanting to burn  the demon in his father. Claude's final move was to leave the room and headed to his chambers, locked in finally in his thoughts. He later then realized.

He hated the person that brought him to life.